9 thoughts on “Waiting Until You’re “Old Enough” for Antidepressants

• September 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Yes. This sort of thing happened to me too. I waited until I was 18 to ask for help because I didn’t want to burden my parents.

• September 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Same – plus it seemed “normal” in my family to have depression at some point or other so it almost seemed irrelevant to talk about until it got to the point aged 20 where I had to get some help.

• September 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I really feel for Allie because I know what it’s like to suffer in silence. I also re,ember being really depressed at a very young age but I begged y family to get me help. They would not listen until I ended up in the hospital for my depression.

• September 9, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Yeah, same with me. I’m 22 now. Should’ve been on antidepressants since I was 13.
    Started last year. Horrible.

• September 9, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I hope this article is a wake-up call for parents to communicate with their children. A child should never be afraid to talk with their parents about their feelings. In addition, anti-depressants should not be the first remedy for childhood depression. Individual and family therapy should always be tried before medication.

• September 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I agree that a child *should* never be afraid to talk with their parents about the feelings, but sadly, many are (I certainly was). More on this in a future post, but it can be very difficult for even professionals to get kids to talk. Some will respond to therapy, but others, especially teenagers, may see if as an invasion of their privacy. In this context, medications can be a relief because they don’t involve disclosing emotions, private thoughts, etc. I’ve had a number of young people tell me this in interviews, and I certainly saw medication that way myself as a teenager.

• September 10, 2012 at 3:41 am

I am curious of the correct diagnosis may be borderline personality disorder. Though patients and doctors hesitate to diagnose this disorder in many cases. But with a history of self-injury, depression, and suicidal behavior, it would be my first point of investigation…

• September 10, 2012 at 11:44 am

Interesting. Well, as we’ll see in an upcoming post, Allie did experience manic episodes. However, these happened only after she began taking antidepressants, raising the question of whether she would have experienced them if she hadn’t taken medication.

• September 10, 2012 at 6:32 am

I am experiencing something similar. My heart goes out to Allie and I hope she found the normalcy she needs and deserves.