I live in a place where winter gets really cold. I know there are plenty of other moms out there who are in the same situation. It can be difficult to make sure your kids stay active and get in “exercise” during the winter especially when it is freezing outside. This post can also be helpful during the warmer months, as well.
It’s really important for kids to stay active and not get in the habit of sitting too much. There bodies and minds need them to stay active and move around physically.
Here are 7 ways to help your kids stay active in the winter.
- Play outside (with proper cold-weather clothing). This is a simple one, but sometimes it can be overlooked particularly if your child prefers not to be out in the cold.
- Have a dance party. Put on some music (maybe your kids can help pick the music) and have your kids put on a dance show for you or maybe you can join them.
- Play treasure hunt in the house. Hide some items around the house, give your kids clues on where to find the items, then they can go find the treasure. This gets them up and moving around.
- Kids Yoga. Cosmic Kids Yoga is a great series of yoga videos for kids. Yoga is great for the body and mind. Check out this video:
5. Try an exercise video for kids like this one:
6. Go Sledding. It takes a lot of work to go up those hills.
7. Put limits on electronic time. If kids aren’t watching TV, YouTube videos, or playing video games, they are much more likely to move around.
The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) report that Children and adolescents should do 60 minutes (1 hour) or more of physical activity each day. It’s likely that kids need more than just one hour of activity a day, though. You certainly don’t want your kids to be sitting or laying around for 23 out of 24 hours a day.
Try to see if you can plan in more active activities for your kids daily. They are probably already doing some physical activity, but it’s important that they maintain habits of physical activity to encourage a healthy lifestyle.