6 thoughts on “The Neuroscience of Bad Habits and Why It’s Not About Will Power

• October 8, 2014 at 11:37 am

I have a friend who quit smoking. When he wanted a cigarette, his partner told him – Wait five minutes. If you want it in five minutes you can have it. The worst was over in five minutes. I’ve never smoked, so this is secondhand info, but I’m glad it worked.

• October 9, 2014 at 9:34 am

I am a recovered alcoholic. This article bears out my experience, too. Where I find the most help, currently, is not in thinking things through, but in stepping back and being the observer of the impulse…the thoughts that are happening in my head or the emotions I’m experiencing. By being the observer, I realize I am not controlled by my crazy thoughts or my rebellious emotions. It DOES pass and I am so glad I’m no longer victim to my own impulses. I have survived so much in life. I am truly blessed beyond what I deserve or ever expected. Keep getting the truth out there! Thanks!

• October 10, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Thanks for this article. It helped me remember why I (try to) take time to meditate. Long is the way to the road.
    @HeidiHO thanks for sharing your success.

• October 11, 2014 at 8:35 pm

What a great straight forward and brief read that encompasses a huge topic. I started transecendental meditation when my marriage ended nearly 20yrs ago. Much like my yoga practise I tend to now practise doing my own variation. I started as I knew any help in staying sane through the marriage break up would be worth exploring. @ yrs ago I took the plunge & did the Vipasana 10 silent meditation retreat. On day 8 I finally felt I was going to last! All of this practise and exploration has lead to the very conclusion you touch upon. The journey is ongoing, there is no end point and conscious awareness is the key. I have never been into getting of my face, but I do still indulge in casual alcohol & also marijuana, but every time I partake of these I now have an almost automatic awareness meter that kicks in, as long as I keep touching base with that state of presence, I know I am doing what I am doing on a conscious level, which gives me the opportunity to either take myself out of a situation or adjust my behaviour eg start drinking a glass of water with every glass of wine, or just drink water etc. Again thanks for this blog, I shall be sharing it

• October 24, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Thank you. I think it is also worth noting, research suggests the brain produces dopamine during mindfulness meditation practice….a healthier happy hit!

• June 24, 2016 at 9:02 pm

This is probably the stupidest thing you have heard about an addiction. But it is real for me. I have a addiction to wanting to sit in really hot water in the tub 5-7 times a day. It started out just wanting to sit in hot water for back problems then was going through some marriage problems and it was my go to thing to feel better. Now if I am home and alone it is all I want to do over and over. Now my legs are messed up with strange mottled skin and Petechie (not sure if from doing this but could be). I say every day I am not doing it anymore and turn around and do it. Hopefully with your article I can try to stop before I hurt myself.