7 thoughts on “Overcome These Five Obstacles to Your Mindfulness Meditation Practice

• July 15, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Excellent inclusion.

On Doubt (or uncertainty), it might be too much to ask for beginners to “remember that thoughts are just thoughts”. It’s useful to ask an experienced teacher.

In some situations, drowsiness can be an unconscious effort to dull the mind to avoid the impact of undesirable thoughts and unpleasant feelings.

Agree with the importance to check on the attitude of desiring something else other than what’s true at the moment.

• July 23, 2014 at 2:22 pm

No offense, but where did Elisha get his PhD from? I hope his thesis didn’t include phrases like:

“look closely at things before we buy it.”

“Get irritated comes up for many reasons.”

“We have our brains to contend with who throw up all these obstacles”

For heaven’s sake, get this guy an editor — it’s enough to make my brain throw up!

• July 23, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Why, how dare I say thing like this! Am I not aware that comments like this are hurtful and the moderator will not allow them to be post? I should concentrate on the CONTENT of what Dr. Goldstein says: that mediation is good for me and I should not have to worry about all the things that might interrupt my dedication to long, run-on sentence. Instead, I thank you for read this and I am hoping you enjoy it. I am also volunteer to edit the good Doctor’s writings so readable by English-speaking public.

• July 23, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Hi again,

Just to clarify, if you’ve never commented before the system will hold any comment until it is approved. Otherwise, it leaves the comment section susceptible to spam. It’s a human who is approving these and so it doesn’t often happen right away.

This is a great example of how we can get caught in the mind trap of misperception. Life gives us many opportunities to learn.

Warmly,

Elisha

• July 23, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Hi WDDT,

Thanks for letting me know of these corrections, I’m a perpetual student.

Warmly,

Elisha

• July 29, 2014 at 11:48 am

I liked your article and find that as a Core Process Psychotherapist which is a mindfulness-based psychotherapy I find the 2 obstacles that are often brought in connection with therapy and will it work for me are doubt and irritation.

• August 2, 2014 at 4:02 am

Thanks for this article. I agree we often find information about how meditation is useful and less on how to actually do it. One very important factor that is often left out is the importance of the body. We hear so much about MIND-fullness, mind control, etc. and this has created a perspective (for some) that dealing with the mind directly is the main key. Any meditator knows working with the mind directly can be very challenging, working with the body is much easier. We can’t forget that when the body is balanced and harmonized through things like yoga, exercise, healthy diet, Ayurveda, and such, it greatly minimizes irritation, sleepiness, restlessness and doubt that can arise during seated meditation.