7 thoughts on “4 Steps to a Shaping a Wiser Brain

• June 7, 2013 at 8:53 am

The four questions: #1 and #2 are valid. And there it stops. Accurately identifying reality (about or selves) should be the first step in analyzing and strategizing our behaviour. Questions #3 and #4 are not “wise”, but blatant pragmatism, the short-sighted attempt to feel good without regard to reality. This will only lead to temporal relief, like a painkiller, without adressing the true causes of the problems, which will cause more pain or delusions in the long-run. (This is the philosophical principle behind all psychotherapies to date.)

• June 9, 2013 at 2:15 am

I’ve benefited greatly from The Work of Byron Katie (integrating it with my practice of meditation with Sayadaw U Tejaniya). I’ve also use the same for others with great success in disentangling the clinging to views.

Some people do find the approach not helpful, but that’s usually because of a wrong mental attitude in the application. My best suggestion is to either watch some videos of her facilitating others or read her little guide book on the process. They are available here for free: http://www.thework.com

• June 7, 2013 at 10:40 am

I had an episode of psychosis and noticed as I crashed and mended over many months of confusion and madness, that as I learnt about thoughts and how they work, I noticed this thought distancing and balancing process in detail. Thoughts were hard, uncontrollable
    and immediately on top of me at my worse time. Through learning to control thoughts with a balancing of all words and feelings, I learnt to eventually control the process and give myself this distance. I know now I am a well balanced person with no medication. I am 44 years old and I feel that I have only just learnt about myself.

• June 7, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Question on todays am progam, 6/7/13. What do the Native American Nations think of the thousands of us, who are part Native American, but have had no contact with this part of our heritage? Would we be welcomed?

• June 9, 2013 at 2:31 am

Dear Elisha, I was pleasantly surprise to find Byron Katie’s 4 questions here. Then again, I shouldn’t. It’s really effective, for me and many others. It’s good to see it gaining positive attention.

I’d like to point out though that you didn’t present question 2-4 as she does. The differences in phrasing may not seem significant to you but the differences in effect is.

Question 2 is particularly incorrect. Instead of “Is it absolutely true?”, it’s “Can you absolutely know that it’s true?” Questioning the truth of the perception is the job of the first one. If the mind says yes to that, than the 2nd one asks if it’s *possible* for one to know that it’s true.

• April 6, 2019 at 12:13 pm

To overcome mind which is nothing but thought hold onto one thought all the waking hours and don’t release it until sleep and over time that one thought will vanish and pure consciousness’s will remain, it’s your true nature, ego is a creation of concepts too, this is the hardest to overcome because all we knew was false, but life will help, trust it