9 thoughts on “It’s 12 O’clock, do you know where your mind is?

• February 3, 2009 at 1:22 am

some great tips and nicely written!

• February 3, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Thank you for your wise words on mindfulness. I have an experience that I wrote of on my own blog that I will never forget. Although longer than a “comment” I will share… Occasionally the universe (however one may define universe!) provides a gift and reminds us to live in the moment. On a particularly horrible day I experienced a tap on the shoulder that literally brought me front and center to the present. My 19 year old daughter was in a psychiatric unit of a trauma 1 hospital in Seattle, newly diagnosed with bipolar disorder, preparing for a series of ECT treatments. It was Mother’s Day. She is a musician and had just played and sang “Blackbird” for me as my gift when she suddenly crashed again, back down into her depression and asked us to leave. I was about as low as I had been over the last 6 months of hell. My husband talked me into taking a walk through an old growth forest arboretum. It was an absolutely beautiful day and suddenly I had this feeling of smallness in an ancient world. I was simply in the moment of that beautiful place, a tiny speck on our earth’s curve. I relaxed, I let out and took in a breath of air. I was in that moment, at peace (www.cindajohnson.blogspot.com).

• February 3, 2009 at 3:03 pm

With my busy work schedule and long hours I find myself on auto-pilot all the time. Thanks for the great tips…I can already see how they will be helpful.

• February 3, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Thank you for your work! My daughter and I are finishing a book together about her experiences with and treatment of bipolar. Psychiatrists and psychologists rock!

• February 4, 2009 at 11:28 am

I am a mid-life woman with major life decisions to make and I need to be able to function optimally in the meantime. How could a mindfulness orientation help to manage the preoccupying issues related to making major changes and decisions and result in a constant underlying stress. The underlying stress is difficult and damaging (to mind and body). I know about meditation and relaxation, I am more curious about cognitive or other strategies a mindfulness perspective might offer.

• February 4, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Hi Marion, it sounds like this may be a particularly stressing time. Here’s how it can help with major life decisions. Major life decisions are stressful and when we’re stressed our focus becomes narrow, we start to get tunnel vision. We begin worrying about how things are going to turn out and go into ‘fix it’ mode, even if we’re not in the best place to fix anything. From a cognitive perspective we’re getting caught in a mental trap where we begin worrying about how to fix our major life issue and when we do this we lose sight of all our available options in that moment that could not only help us with calm, but allows us to see a greater set of options to be more skillful and effective in the moment. We become less of a slave to auto-pilot and reactive behavior and more able to be present and respond from a grounded place.

• March 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Great tips. We are all guilty of what I call negative self talk, most of which is done without ever thinking. It just becomes habit.

• August 8, 2009 at 12:07 am

What a serendipitous GEM! Just what I needed for a quick recap reminder: thank you so much for writing it in such a personably accessible style. Glad to have located your site;-)