11 thoughts on “Rumi’s Secret to Making the Changes You Want

• May 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Elisha, thanks so much for including the poetry of Rumi in your blog post on mindfulness. His poetry is so beautiful and insightful. I sometimes integrate sharing poetry & literature in psychotherapy sessions with my clients, and invite them to respond in their journal writing, utilizing the quotation. This has proven to be such a powerful tool to open up their awareness and consciousness. This kind of journal work supports mindfulness practice in therapy, and encourages clients to continue the mindfulness practice between sessions.

• May 19, 2012 at 6:01 am

Thank you for sharing such a good idea. I will definitely try using it with my clients!

• May 18, 2012 at 5:09 am

Hi Elisha,
    I just wanted to say thank you for a great post.
    I think most of us are walking around asleep and life “just happens” to many.
    Mindfulness is just so important to living a fulfilling life.
    It is time to “wake up”
    “The door is round and open.
    Don’t go back to sleep”.

• May 18, 2012 at 6:53 am

I always enjoy your articles and posts… thank you! I have been using mindful eating in my sugar craving and overeating programs as an RN health coach and have been incorporating more mindfulness into my stress program and it has added a whole new dimension. I recommend you book to all of my clients and occasionally quote some of your daily wisdoms. (giving you credit, of course) Just as we eat on autopilot, so too, do we live on autopilot. I love your analogy Rumi’s poem into our daily life.

• May 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Thank you everyone, and thank you Jan for recommending the book, I hope it is a source of clarity, joy and healing to many people.

• May 20, 2012 at 9:56 am

Nice way to begin my Sunday morning.

What struck me about the “two worlds” is the realization that we live in two worlds.

• January 19, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Rumi is speaking of state of mind.
    Of another place.
    The breezes at dawn…
    The timeless place between wakefulness and sleep, in that silence,
    listen.
    I have no doubt he’s wandered places not of this earthly plane.
    He knows them too well.
    He says to me,
    I have been there,
    I know what it feels like.
    Do not go back to the way you were before.

• October 22, 2017 at 12:01 am

This is why non-Muslims should not pick up Islamic text and try to explain it. Rumi is talking to the Muslim who wakes up at Fajr (the dawn prayer) and reminds him/her that this is the most important time to pray to God. Don’t go back to sleep. Anything you ask God for, He will answer you. It is when Allah sends his special breeze of Mercy, meditate, listen, talk, and pray.

As the early bird catches the worm, as successful people wake up at the crack of dawn to increase their economic wealth, so should the person who wants Spiritual success wake up at dawn and stay up in worship of his/her Creator.

• April 1, 2018 at 11:15 pm

And this is why Religion isn’t really required. Namaste!

• January 19, 2019 at 3:56 am

Therefore both Kamilah and PW are right and wrong at the same time. The duality of oneness and the oneness of duality.

• April 1, 2018 at 11:21 pm