7 thoughts on “Negative Thoughts seem Convincing? Thoughts are Not Facts

• June 8, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I think that the time a person can notice just how false these common thoughts are, is when they are helping someone going through though the same exact situation and thought processes. You think they are out of their mind for calling themselves worthless or hopeless! And then you think – wait, I’ve thought those thoughts before. People have told me otherwise…

• June 10, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I guess stuff like this is frustrating for me given my experiences and family histroy, feeling in general are viewed as stupid so to hear over and over again this week that my thoughts aren’t real makes me wonder what the heck I’m doing here.

• June 12, 2009 at 11:48 am

Hi Liz,
    The purpose of this is to say that we can get caught up in automatic negative thoughts and self judgments that are mood dependent. So the trick is not to “take the bait” because these thoughts would be different if we were feeling better. Thoughts create actions (e.g., staying in bed) and actions create consequences. So if some automatic negative thought is going to start this chain, I’d want to notice if this is a habit and question it before it starts or exacerbates some downward spiral.

When we’re in a depressive episode, this point is hard to hear and understand. This is more about preventing the relapse into depression. If we are able to stop the chain of automatic negative thoughts and come back to taking care of ourselves in the moment, all the better for a quicker recovery.

• June 14, 2009 at 10:13 am

yay. i scored 173. i don’t have a job or insurance. i have absolutely no income…so i don’t get a therapist. the family i live with believes that my depression is just me being spiteful and that i am just a melodramatic white girl. i was beaten bloody as a child and that’s a minor problem compared to the rest of my experiences.

• November 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm

I am into a neg thoughts of which i want to come out but its like a lock which never give me a chance to come out from that virtual world…wat to do suggest me…?

• November 27, 2009 at 10:59 am

Hi Maxx,

This is very common, you might want to ease off on trying hard to counter negative thoughts. See if you can wrap them up as (ANTS – automatic negative thoughts) and then redirect your attention onto something that is supportive to you. They’ll keep coming back, you can expect that, but each time, just note them and gently redirect your attention. Frustration may also arise, this is all part of acknowledging the moment. Slowly we can begin to change our neural pathways…

• March 7, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Hi yay I scored a 273. I am 13 years old. I see a therapist, whom is very nice and supporting of me. It’s just frustrating knowing that here I am struggling with negative thinking and over there is people, normal people who are absolutely fine!