8 thoughts on “Is the Purpose of Life to be Happy?

• May 26, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Hi,
    I always try to look for the nugget, for me in this article it’s this,
    “…bring yourself back to the present moment and nurture the ability to be with the uncomfortable emotion with a kind attention. This inevitably waters the seeds of self-love, which is the foundation for feeling well”
    Work with the self and the rest invariably falls into place. Do unto oneself first.

• May 26, 2011 at 7:24 pm

To me, happiness would be an inner peace & balanced life. I tend to stay away from the endless number of happiness-how-to guides.

• May 27, 2011 at 7:37 am

I think we’re overdoing the whole analyzing and dissecting thing!

While I do have certain ‘codes of happiness’ I espouse, I think some of us are getting carried away in pursuit mode when we should just be ‘being’.

“Happiness is snuggled up in a quiet spot within you.
    You need only be still and silent and allow it to unfold until it eventually engulfs you.”

Live Life Happy!

• May 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Hi Elisha,

I love this post! Particularly what you said about the trap of always striving to be somewhere other than where we are.

I appreciate the depth and heart of what you’ve written here. You obviously have given this subject a lot of thought and it’s great that you’re sharing your knowledge with others. You’re truly making a difference in the world. Keep doing what you’re doing!

To your magnificence!

• May 30, 2011 at 6:22 am

Incredible post!!

• June 3, 2011 at 9:50 am

I believe the purpose in life:

Is to make a difference.

Whose life is better, because you passed by?

• June 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm

The Purpose of Life to learn from whatever experience life brings!

• June 10, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Like Andrea Woolf said below, I also loved the idea of striving to be somewhere you’re not as an undesired outcome of striving for happiness.

Actually, it’s not that straightforward to me. I feel that I AM striving toward the future I want, but I’m also really happy where I am. I have a great life, and I’m really happy in my day-to-day activities.
    But I’m also moving in a couple of months to get away from a place I feel I’ve lived too long.

Happiness for me is not so much in the circumstances. It’s in the attitude you have. You could be happy in a place, job or relationship you don’t like. It can give you the confidence to change the things you don’t like, but saves you from being miserable in the process.