Comments on
Top 5 Metaphors for Mindfulness: Interview with Arnie Kozak Ph.D.

metaphors for mindfulnessWhen it comes to trying to understand almost anything, I have found metaphors to be extremely useful. In mindfulness we use them all the time, we say, “Paying attention to your thoughts is like lying down on a field of grass looking at the clouds go on by or like lying down by a riverbed see the variety of debris come and go.”

I am very pleased to bring you Arnie Kozak,

6 thoughts on “Top 5 Metaphors for Mindfulness: Interview with Arnie Kozak Ph.D.

• January 20, 2011 at 9:32 am

One of my favorite metaphors for mindfulness (and one that I use very frequently on my blog) is the Heraclitus quote,

“You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.”

Nice interview!

• January 20, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I am a practitioner of ZMET myself, which if you are aware is a patented methodology to elicit metaphors to get at subconscious thoughts delevoped by Professor Gerald Zaltman.While metaphoric thoughts and expressions can be found in large numbers like the authors 108 plus ones there are in fact only a handful that truly govern out mental thoughts.In my line of work we call these Deep Meraphors.

• January 21, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Hi there,
    Could you share some of these “Deep metaphors?”

Elisha

• January 22, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Thanks, Elisha. I enjoyed this interview.

One question, please. To what is he referring when he says: “It’s like the Director’s Commentary on your DVD”?

• January 22, 2011 at 9:18 pm

For the past year I have been frozen in place like a deer caught in the headlights. I am just beginning to cross the road to the other side.

• January 24, 2011 at 9:47 am

HI Stephanie, Arnie Kozak, here. The Director’s commentary is a mode that most DVD movies have, at least for more recent films. It’s usually listed as a special feature. If you make that active, you will hear the director of the film along with, perhaps, one or more of the actors talking about the film as they are watching it. They are talking over the movie. The movie plays in the background at a lower volume. Check out a DVD and see what it’s like. I find it very distracting, and I’ve likened it to the state of our minds. We are “talking over” our life and it’s very distracting and much less satisfying than just enjoying the movie!