6 thoughts on “Your Destructive Mind Habits in 5 Short Chapters

• August 10, 2010 at 6:57 am

I’ve actually been trying to eliminate these kinds of behaviors in myself. Mostly I’ve been doing well, and it does eliminate a lot of my stress, but the “eternal expert” one I actually never thought about. Definitely something for me to consider. Thank you.

• August 11, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I really find this reminding of traps that I myself fall into, extreemly helpful…. I am gutted at the moment, as a level three social worker, I have to work along side people who have not spent four years qualifying, the money spent gaining the qualifications and then having to register, which I have to pay for and then prove 15 days of training… Just to recieve the same wage as Assesors… Just remind me, why do we do this???

• August 11, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I learned to change my behavior after I realized my bipolar symptoms were changing who I really am.
    I was at a traffic light in town and suddenly had a panic attack, I quickly calmed myself down just like I would if I was helping someone else, breath, relax etc and it was gone. Just takes practice.

• August 25, 2010 at 9:30 am

I wrote this many years ago when I was first dxed w/bipolar 1 & was doing an IOP at the local hospital. I read all these self-help books & never put anything into practice so I wrote “what I knew” (as they tell authors to do). These could be chapters of a book as I knew these topics very well, but it’s been 15 years since then & I’ve had the benefit of 2 years of DBT (& still doing weekly DBT group & plan to do it for the rest of my life if I can; it is that valuable to me!) & what a difference DBT has made (& meds, too). But w/DBT I’ve been able to now get off Abilify, off sedating meds, decrease dosages of others…

I did a cut & paste off Word so hope it will come out OK.

HOW TO ENSURE A SELF-DESTRUCTIVE LIFESTYLE

By Suzanne

1. Ruminate on your unhappy childhood and past hurts.

2.Blame others.

3.Don’t accept responsibility for your own decisions.

4.Surround yourself with other unhappy, unfulfilled, whiny people.

5.Believe that you can’t. You’re handicapped in some way.

6.Don’t try even small steps in a positive direction.

7.Pamper your low self-worth with destructive habits—overeating, drinking, not exercising.

8.Be lazy.

9.Take your anger and frustration out on your spouse. Then blame him for your cold marriage.

10.Avoid real communication. Deny your faults. Ask questions that you won’t like the answers to and then get upset.

11.Follow in your parents’ dysfunctional footsteps.

12.Feed jealous thoughts.

• August 25, 2010 at 9:33 am

Me again! This is a Native American folk tale that really speaks to me. The message is very DBTish!
    NATIVE AMERICAN FOLK TALE

A grandfather explains to his grandson that he has two wolves inside him. One wolf fills him with hope and reminds him how wonderful his life is, and the other fills him with doubt and convinces him that nothing is worth the effort. The grandson asks, concerned for his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The grandfather replies, “Whichever one I feed.”

• June 17, 2011 at 8:49 am

wo what a great article. I think it eradicatres the growing unseen fangs our minds have! The subconcious manifests our thoughts and clearing or understanding our minds can be very benefitial….Thank you for an awesome article