Human beings have a tendency to take things for granted. We often fall foul of chasing the “shiny object” by putting our focus on what we’re lacking instead of feeling thankful for what we have right here, and right now. Sadly, this oversight often extends to this precious earth that sustains and supports us all.
While it’s wonderful that we designate a particular day each year to celebrate Earth Day, how awesome would it be if we could embrace that awareness every single day? Nurturing feelings of connection to, and gratitude for, this earth not only ensures that we respect it more, it also feels good, which boosts well-being.
I invite you to drop your shoulders, settle in, and enjoy a meditation in appreciation of this glorious Earth of ours. You can practice this today, tomorrow, and any day you feel inclined.
7-Step Meditation to Celebrate Earth Day (everyday!)
- Start off by sitting in a comfortable position – close your eyes, and take a few deep breaths.
- Consider what the world needs more of – kindness, reverence for nature, respect for life, safe sanctuaries for wildlife, rain forests that provide unique ecosystems to support all forms of life.
- Consider what the world needs less of – global stress, human disconnection, over-consumption, exploitation of species, world hunger, pollution.
- Sense your connection to this planet – remember that you were born on/to this planet and it sustains your life.
- Use your breath – come back to the breath, sensing it coming in then going out as it’s happening, breath by breath. As you’re breathing, imagine yourself as a conduit for this planet where whatever you breathe in the planet receives, and whatever you breathe out, the planet releases. Take a moment and breathe in whatever you feel is healthy and nourishing for the earth, then breathe out, releasing what is unhealthy or depleting to the planet.
Repeat this process – breathe in what is healthy, visualizing the earth taking this nourishment through you, and breathe out what is unwanted, as you visualize the earth releasing any toxic forces, pain, and/or suffering.
- Rest in heart – taking a moment to go deeper, allow yourself to settle into the feeling of giving that is here, to the feeling of a grounded and open heart.
- Bring it to a close with intention – place your hands on your abdomen or heart and consider repeating this intention back to yourself for today: May I live each moment with compassion and awareness for this precious home and the life it sustains, including my own.
Now make a commitment to yourself to live in a way that expresses deep love for the planet and all life. Allow your wellspring for loving the planet to feel limitless and acknowledge how your actions have an affect on all living things.
Know that as you do this, you are releasing your intentions into the fertile ground of pure possibility. The more you practice this, the more the bloom will flourish.