6 thoughts on “My Top Ten Favorite Parenting Resources

• December 12, 2014 at 10:08 am

You put your own book on a list of best parenting resources? Classy.

• December 12, 2014 at 10:15 am

Dana,
      I think you raise a reasonable point, but I’m not sure why you felt a need to do it in the manner you did.

I thought long and hard before adding my book to this list, but I ultimately decided to do it for a few reasons. First, I wrote the book because I believe deeply in the ideas in it, and I didn’t see another book out there like it. Incorporating concepts such as mindfulness and self-compassion into my parenting have truly changed my life and my parenting style. So, yes, I do think it belongs on this list.

Second, self-promotion doesn’t come easily for me or most people I know, but the reality is that if I want to keep writing (which I do), I need to make money at this work. Which means I need to sell books, which means I need I to promote the book. It’s as simple as that.

I welcome your comments and thoughts, but I would ask that you share your thoughts in a more respectful way.

• December 15, 2014 at 1:19 pm

While I get that trying to make a living as a writer involves a fair amount of self promotion, and I see that on FB, and by the way have never ever said anything about it, because I realize that you need to sell books. Still, as someone willingly putting herself in the public eye you must get that not everyone will agree with everything you do.

The reason why I chose to say something now is that, in my opinion, this goes beyond simple needing to sell books, kind of like if Hemingway would call himself his own favorite author. Reading over it now, however, I see that it was abrasive and how you could have felt as you did. I do sincerely apologize for that. I should have chosen another manner or not said anything at all.

Good luck with your book,
        Dana

• December 19, 2014 at 4:11 am

Actually, the title of the article is “My Top Ten Favorite Parenting Resources”… Dana uses MY and not THE… since it is her list, I would be concerned if I didn’t see her book on there! That shows that she believes in it, and that is respectable!

• December 19, 2014 at 4:12 am

Actually, the title of the article is “My Top Ten Favorite Parenting Resources”… Carla uses MY and not THE… since it is her list, I would be concerned if I didn’t see her book on there! That shows that she believes in it, and that is respectable!

• December 12, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Great resource list. Thanks for creating! I am a mom, pediatric nurse practitioner and founder of NewboRN-Solutions. We have over 75 known, trusted experts for families. One, Julie King studied under the book “How to Talk So Kids will Listen..” And is writing a follow up for younger kids also Rona Renner who wrote, “Is That Me Yelling?” They are both experts available by phone, skype or in person to help families individually through NewboRN-Solutions.
    Some more self-promotion but if you are passionate in what you do then that is what you do!
    Thanks again for sharing, hope to add to your great list.