14 thoughts on “Why I Deleted the Apps on My iPhone

• October 24, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Hi. Thank you for writing your article. I too have gone through a massive paring down of addictions. To the point where I almost died. I was living so much in my head and always needing stimulation and something new. The Internet and iPhone and everything can be addictive. I was even addicted to “NDE”s. It was insane to the point where I could hardly go a day without (and still have trouble) reading a story about someone dying. Over time I realized, that along with the intense fascination of what it’s like on the other side (my addiction), and the amazing things to be learned from other people’s experiences, I needed to take a break. I was slowly losing my real life in favor of an imagined and possibly real afterlife. I have realized now that this is simply something I go through. It is not my enemy. I enjoy information, novelty, and educating myself. I am just realizing that it can take over my life. It is not a bad thing, it is just a thing. What can I say. I realized I was doing myself a bit too much harm then good with this and realized I had to stop. When I stopped, I went cold turkey, because that is how I quit smoking. Another story. But quitting cold turkey is great, just not everything all at once. That was my mistake. I am grateful for it and am realizing as I heal from dropping EVERYTHING, that the real life for me to live is the one with people – real face to face people – internet, in moderation, and alone time, music, food, walks, work… things that give my life a bit of variety. Hey, I honestly believe I needed my addictions, my near death experiences, my job loss, so many of the things that were screaming at me “You’re dying!”. I am recovering now, and I love life. I hope you find what you already are, and whatever that is, I know from the core of my being, that it is great. In fact, it is amazing. Best. Anthony.

• October 25, 2012 at 1:36 am

Lol, i just switched to android and everything wqs solved.

• October 25, 2012 at 9:49 am

Good for you. I hope my sister does the same thing. She is totally addicted to her iPhone. One time I told her at my dinner table to leave and go hang with people she was texting with. She is 40 years old. I myself had to downsize my app collection from over 100 to maybe 30. I am an ex-Android user and find that i spend close to 2 hours tweaking the phone and the apps and the settings. All of that was a waste of time and i switched to iphone. iPhone does not have all the tweakability and thats great. I think more people should make these adjustments. We are becoming further disconnected from each other by staying connected through the digital devices. We need to liberate ourselves from the shackles of useless news and status updates. How many pictures of cute dogs, and nice bikes and tattoos can we look at. I solute you and wish you luck.

• October 25, 2012 at 10:44 am

Congratulations! I did the same thing 3 days ago. Much happier now!!! House is cleaner, more organized, spend more time with kids and on what really matters. Thanks for the article. Glad to know it wasn’t just me!

• October 25, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Why don’t you just sell your smartphone and get one of those old flip-phones? Sounds like you really don’t know how to use technology.

• October 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

If you carefully read the article you will find the answer to your question. But maybe you were distracted by your smartphone while reading this article.

• October 25, 2012 at 2:07 pm

That was lame, use your phone as a phone and learn to be the parent you should be.

• October 25, 2012 at 2:47 pm

What does your reply really mean? Person, found extra time in a day from not using the smartphone way too much for things that really do not matter. So be happy for them.

• October 25, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Carla,

What a great self-aware post. Takes a lot of courage to publicly admit some of those things you wrote. This is a growing problem in society and the hidden cost of ubiquitous access to the web now. We need to rethink digital information consumption in a healthier and more sustainable way – something to combat the manufactured compulsive pull of checking our devices for a variable reward of new media. This is exactly what we’re working on at Skim.Me (http://skim.me). We’re building the first content consumption platform that encourages users to consume information in a few full (and timed) info meals per day rather than constantly snacking. Not for everyone, but definitely for a select group – maybe even you Carla (we aggregate Facebook and Twitter πŸ™‚ )

• October 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I guess I should not be shock by the two rude comments above “DUH” and “WOW… however, I think there user names says more about them.

Kudos to you for having the guts to be honest and admit the truth not only to yourself but also to the world. It was NOT lame. It is amusing to me that people tell others how to “tbe the parents they should be” … Really? Most of those people do not have children and if they do I am SURE they are not perfect! I found your article very true for many people and a reminder that we all need to get back to the basics. Bravo! πŸ™‚

And go RedMad!! I agree, be happy that people try to make a change for the better! πŸ™‚

Man, your d@mned if you do and d@mned if you don’t. Geesh! 0_o

• October 25, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I meant MadRed… Sorry πŸ˜‰

• October 26, 2012 at 2:47 am

I think too many moms can relate to the truth behind these words. I hate to admit that I’m one of them! It’s such a wonderful thing and a horrible curse at the same time. I just read an article similar to this one a couple days ago… I think I’m being told nicely to PUT THE PHONE DOWN! I plan to listen! Thank you!!!

• December 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

This is exactly why I still have a “dumb phone”. The idea of having a device that just calls people is still pretty cool…30 years ago our only phone was plugged into a wall, and not to just recharge. πŸ™‚ I think you made an excellent decision. Good for you!

• April 18, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I can relate 100% to this article….right down to loving Penny when I was growing up! I am also addicted to my iphone and find myself missing life because I’m on it constantly. Yesterday I deleted all of my distraction apps and deactivated my Facebook account. Today I spent the day with my kids and they actually thanked me for not being on my phone. That was heartbreaking and eye opening. Thank you for writing this! I think my mobile downgrade = a life upgrade! πŸ™‚