6 thoughts on “Songs That Get Me Through Depression

• November 21, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Great suggestions, I also go through the same issues, I have manic depression and anxiety, on top of that I lost my only daughter in a bad vehicle accident 7years ago and it is like it happened yesterday and I think about every single day n duno where 7yrs went but I also relate to music to help me thanx for your suggestions I would like to add Nickel back the song lullaby!! I feel everyone can relate to that song in whatever the problems are they are dealing with,you should listen to that one! Thanks for sharing!

• November 24, 2017 at 1:21 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I’m glad music can be therapeutic for you. Music is so powerful, and I have found it to be one of the most helpful coping skills throughout my years with depression and anxiety. Thank you for the song suggestion, I will listen!

• November 23, 2017 at 8:19 pm

I’m a therapist who has spent 34 years working with people with depression and anxiety. Ten years ago, I started a community choir and invited any of my clients who were feeling isolated, hurt, grief-stricken or depressed to join for free (no one else in the choir would know they were clients, unless they told them). It’s been at least as therapeutic for my clients to be part of a no-audition choir as their talk therapy has been. I choose songs from around the world with joyful, inspiring, or exciting in some way. The one I want to recommend is called “I will rise again,” by Sean Johnson and the Wild Lotus Band. You can listen to it on YouTube. The lyrics are “I will rise again, through rain, and floods, and wind. Knock me down. I’ll stand up. Oh, I will rise again.” The verses change to I will see again and I will love again. Well worth a listen. My choir loves it. People cry singing it, but only because it speaks to the sadness that’s weighing them down and it gives them strength to sing it in a group.

• November 24, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Thank you for your comment. Music has always been extremely therapeutic to me. I can relate to this. I sang throughout middle and high school and later became a music therapy major in college. Music can touch anyone in any situation and can be particularly healing to those who are hurting. I will be listening to this song!

• March 6, 2018 at 8:23 am

Just found your article on your personal struggles. Awesome comeback! You rock!

• March 6, 2018 at 8:26 am

Thank you so much! Recovery is possible! 😊

The discussion section is closed to new comments for this blog.