6 thoughts on “How to Make Friends With the Unknown

• November 1, 2017 at 8:54 am

Such a sweet post. And it illustrated the author’s point quite well. And turtles are very fast. A wild one came to our yard. We went in to get it some lettuce and it was gone! Like 1 minute-gone. We looked in the woods,found nothing.

• November 1, 2017 at 11:17 am

Boy is that the truth! They are deceptively speedy when they want to be! So glad you enjoyed the post!😊

• November 1, 2017 at 11:22 am

I’m a bit like your turtle, I think. Unknown is a good friend. This said, he’s a bit freaky and can make you quite nervous. So try to keep his company only for as long as you can bear it, and then head home if you can. If not (and it happens – ask your turtle!), my trick is to look at the sky. Wherever you are, the sky is always familiar.

• November 1, 2017 at 11:41 am

I love your insights!! I’ve actually done that when far from home and feeling homesick-looking up at the sky and finding a constellation I can also see at home and feeling a bit comforted…..

• December 8, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I, unfortunately, have to deal with a form of anxiety which boils down to a general fear of the unknown. It’s unfortunate because any little thing outside of my “comfort zone” is an unknown – and as I’ve gotten older, my comfort zone got smaller. I’m a wannabe Malti. I would like to travel and take road trips with my dogs… but my mind will start thinking about the what ifs and scenarios that *might* happen – those thoughts can be like sharks in my head – and often I don’t seem able to overcome it and make excuses not to go or do or experience whatever it was I wanted. I am very envious of the Malti’s of the world….

• December 8, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Oh yes – that does sound difficult. I’m not sure why those voices didn’t stop me from traveling – I went all kinds of crazy places when I was younger – I guess it was because the eating disorder voices were the meanest voices, and I was trying to get away from them by traveling! That didn’t work, of course, but it did help to subdue them in the wake of traveling-related challenges that needed my more immediate attention. But as my pets have taught me to be friendlier towards the unknown’s approach in my life, I have begun to enjoy traveling more, instead of taking each trip one nervous, frenzied moment at a time. Over the years, I’ve realized most issues that crop up are really very fixable, and most often, people are kind and want to help. But we definitely need support to find the courage to step out of that comfort zone – and the support can come from any species!!