14 thoughts on “Selfies: What’s All the Fuss About?

• October 8, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Great article. I am perplexed by the idea of selfies and I think a selfie can definitely give you an glimpse of a person’s personality. I’ve been a bit anti-selfie (though only of those who habitually share selfies) and am still a bit turned off by it, though at the same time, I envy those who take selfies and lots of them. I have taken a few selfies, but I guess my self esteem is too low to feel that there are many that actually look good, so therefore I haven’t shared many selfies. I envy those who feel good enough about themselves or the way they look, to share them.

• October 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm

That’s a great point, Jenny – as I read your comments I realize I also don’t take selfies because I don’t feel like they are flattering. But I don’t at all mind being in pics with others….it is selfies I avoid (unless my bird, Pearl, is in them with me – oddly). Thanks for sharing that – I wonder if other readers can relate?

• October 8, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I have to counter this misconception that selfie’s originated with Apple’s iPhone. The electronic selfie did propagate to the masses through the iPhone, but as Stevie Nicks’ new album illustrates, with Polaroid cameras and other devices, self-pictures have been around for quite some time. These self-pictures were quite evident in certain underground rags used for “one-to-one” intimate contacts and exchanges (often revealing more than today’s scandalous selfies that have brought down House Representatives and more).

• October 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm

This is true and thank you for pointing it out. The “selfies” referred to in my post are the “modern” selfies that are so rampant – but the first selfies definitely originated even before the iPhone was a gleam in Steve Jobs’ eye! Thank you for the correction!

• October 8, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Yes, this is very true! I was doing “selfies” with my *film camera* (‘member those??) years before digital photography even existed, let alone installed into our cell phones. So…yeah, selfies have been around since the dawn of photography. The word “selfie” is just a modern derivative of “self-portrait”.

I had a panasonic camcorder back in 2000 with an lcd flip-screen that allowed the user to see what was in the frame while being on the lens side of the camera and take a “digital still image”, and there were other digital cameras coming out at that time, like the Nikon Coolpix 2500, that had selfie-friendly features as well. iPhone 4 didn’t come out until 2007!
      If anything, it perhaps made *sharing* selfies easier and faster, but selfies were definitley not directly “invented” or due to the iPhone specifically. That would give Apple far too much credit for something that has actually been around for ages. Just look up “early self portraiture.”

• October 8, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Oh how interesting! I wish there was a way for readers to upload images to comments – I would love to see some of your early selfies if you have pics! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks again for sharing (and I agree, we don’t need to fill Apple’s head with too many delusions of grandeur!)

• October 8, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I like to take solo day trips and overnight trips. My dogs do not yet know how to take photographs (might be a thumb thing). But since I am by myself, I like to take selfies showing where I was at or what I was doing. Or I will take some of me and my pets. (I have no negative connotations about them except when I see ones that remind me more of “glamour shots” than a self photo capturing a moment or event.) I also ask strangers to take my photo some times – I don’t mind doing that. I know a lot of women who would never travel or go places solo and that’s unfortunate as I really enjoy doing it at times. To me, selfies are the way to go.

• October 8, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Nice! I have taken selfies too when I’ve been in a particularly beautiful place (although I too seem to have that “thumb thing” your dogs are struggling with). I watched a video the other day describing a particular pose many young women use in photos (and I would imagine selfies) to try to capture their best angle….verrrry interesting. Perhaps I will try that next time – see how the selfie turns out ;-). Thanks for sharing!

• October 8, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Nice article. If I walked into the pantheon I think I would consider to partake in the project, it makes me feel a part of them and somewhat significant in such a crowd of captivating people. Selfies are fun, I take a selfie and send it to my girlfriend when we chat and vice versa. It’s a great way to socialize and to see someones face in a flash. It’s as if I’m with the person sometimes, it’s comforting especially when you see the ones you love.

Although I have seen also very self-centered selfies, some that are very ostentatious and somewhat exaggerated and cozening. I guess this is one of the negative aspects of technology, as much as it benefits us it can also disrupts our lives and this applies to not just current technology but even older but major inventions such as the automobile. It takes lives, causes noise pollution and etc. In the end it’s all in the integrity of the user!

• October 8, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Oh – WELL SAID!! “It’s all in the integrity of the user.” You summed it up perfectly. I love the visual of you and your gf sending selfies back and forth….that is really sweet. Thanks for your comment! ๐Ÿ™‚

• October 8, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I’ve been taking pictures of myself since I was a kid. They are just trendy now due to all the iphones, etc.

• October 9, 2014 at 4:33 pm

What about selfies taken to send back and forth between people having an affair? Selfies of body parts, in particular? I found these types of pics on my husband’s phone. (Some things you just can’t un-see!) Despite the unappealing nature of these pics, the person(s) sending them must have had very positive feelings about themselves and their body, even though they REALLY shouldn’t have! Anyway, just another way technology has made it easier for lives and marriages to be ruined! Thanks, IPhone.

• October 9, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Ohhhh…..that sounds REALLY painful! I am sorry to hear of your difficult experience with selfies (I agree some things you just can’t “un-see” or “un-hear”). In younger circles (particularly with teens) I think this is called “sexting” (although sexting can include text messages and pictures), and it can be particularly damaging when a young person doesn’t think through later ramifications of permitting pics of this type to enter the public domain.