8 thoughts on “How to Tell if You are an Emotional Sleeper

• September 18, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I can relate — my bed is my sanctuary! My hsband recently commented, “You don’t sleep, you nest!” And, he’s right. But, you post set off some (mild) alarms with me. Over the last 6 months or so, while out and about (for work, shopping, errands or even dinner with hubby), I found myself practically counting the minutes till I could climb back into bed. I finally realized that it had gone well beyond simple “tiredness” — I was spending entire weekends in bed. Only getting up to eat (maybe) and use the bathroom. Finally, I saw the doctor and was (eventually) diagnosed with a major autoimmune disorder. As exhausted has I am all the time, I’ve gradually added more activity (walking, tai chi) and actually spend less time in bed now, but sleep better. I still remain a bedbug, but now it’s when i choose to, as opposed to HAVE to! Sweet dreams! 🙂 N.O.

• September 18, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Oh wow – so glad you were able to get to the underlying cause so you can enjoy sleep again (without it taking over your life!)

• September 19, 2014 at 12:00 am

I sleep as a means to escape my life. It’s all about avoidance for me. When I’m asleep the rest of the world stops existing for that time and I actually get a break from my anxiety, stress and depression. It’s not healthy, but I suppose it’s better than drinking or doing drugs.

• September 19, 2014 at 10:05 am

Yes, I can relate, Sheila. Sometimes sleep gives us the break we need to regroup-and I agree that is is safer than many other “escape” options!

• September 20, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I never knew there was a term for my sleep habits…I’m right there with you Sheila A. Sleeping is my hobby/coping method when stressed. Depression and anxiety are inescapable and sleep does provide a break…and I rather sleep than use alcohol, cigarettes and/or do drugs (like many others afflicted by mental illness).

• September 20, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Yes Ruth – I too concur with Sheila A. – plus, science is even now uncovering more reasons why sleep is necessary to total body (and mind) health!

• September 20, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I am an emotional sleeper. It is my favorite past time. I was a closet emotional sleeper. I never heard the term and I love it and I’m coming out of the closet! I feel free. I like to sleep. Yipee for me. Thank you so much for this article.

• September 20, 2014 at 8:14 pm