Comments on
What Will People Think?

jdge“What will people think?”

Suddenly I feel like I am bumping into this issue all over my life.

From the television shows and movies I watch to the magazine articles I read….to family disputes and conversations with friends….

6 thoughts on “What Will People Think?

• June 6, 2014 at 10:44 am

“what people think” affected what I did and chose for a long time,nearly all my twenties.I am now 30 and I learned to confront others assertively & calmly.Actually,I found that confronting judgements with confidence about what I decide is the best way
    to not be affected emotionally.It is weird that people negatively judge what is assumed to be personal decisions that don’t affect them in any way.

• June 6, 2014 at 12:26 pm

That is great you have learned how to confront others as needed with calm and confidence! That is a hard skill to master! I agree it is strange that there is so little “live and let live” in a culture founded upon the opportunity to be and do anything we want to be. So much work still to be done….

• June 9, 2014 at 9:04 am

I am sure you are familiar with the expression “what people think of you is none of your business” πŸ™‚

• June 9, 2014 at 11:22 am

That is a great mindset, I agree! πŸ™‚

• June 9, 2014 at 9:13 am

I find it helps to not get defensive when people offer their opinions about what they think of your behaviour or lifestyle or whatever or when they are offering it about someone else. If they are expressing an opinion about someone else I reflect about how this is telling me about their values (the opinion giver) and if they are just being catty I dismiss what they are telling me about the person and think about what I am learning about the opinion giver πŸ™‚
    If someone is giving me feedback, I try to step back and not be defensive , not always easy, but I try, I will give it time and reflect, and decide whether there is anything constructive I can take away from it, I might discuss it with someone I trust to give me honest feedback. It all depends of course on the source and how it was delivered. Common sense prevails.

Excellent article, enjoyed reading πŸ™‚

• June 9, 2014 at 11:24 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed the article – I found it helped me a lot to just write it out – what I was thinking, my frustrations, future goals…..everyone has their reasons for having concerns or fears. But when I find that my own concerns limit or scare me to the point where I can’t move forward into an area of life I really want to explore, that is when it is time to blog about it, talk about it, work through it. Thanks so much for reading and sharing your insights – it is inspiring to read how you have found an open ear and heart to hear what others have to say, even if at first it may be a challenge to simply listen. I am aspiring to the same!!