Comments on
Mentoring, Recovery and YOU

We are all recovering from something.

Life. Love. Lack. Loss.

Not to mention all those big and small “oops” moments that linger long after we’ve fled the scene.

But through it all – in the midst of it all even – we rarely (and actually never, I suspect) are without help.

Better yet, most often it is not even a matter of locating a guide to help us get from Point Then to Point Now and beyond.

Rather, it is more simply a matter of becoming aware of the help that is already close at hand so we can then make the choice to accept it.

Case in point – right now, stop and think of one situation where, for a time at least, you really, honestly, thoroughly believed, “No way, no how am I going to get through this one.”

Then think of one or more of the folks who deserve at least partial credit for leading, guiding, or dragging you successfully and safely from then to now.

This is what is called “mentoring”.

7 thoughts on “Mentoring, Recovery and YOU

• August 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I was wondering how you become a mentor? I have had friends and relatives refer some of their friends to me when they have needed help in guidance when it has come to eating disorders and/or bipolar, and I have received good feedback from the people I have worked with. They have said that I have really helped them a lot and that they don’t feel so alone anymore and like that they have someone who understands them. I enjoy sharing my experiences to help others, so how would I go about becoming a mentor to others?

• August 8, 2010 at 7:45 pm

That is fantastic, Christi – thank you for sharing your experiences thus far in mentoring! We’d love to have you complete our MentorCONNECT volunteer mentor application if you are interested – the application can be found here along with the basic requirements for serving: http://www.mentorconnect-ed.org/mcmembership. Feel free to comment here or email me at [email protected] if you have any questions, okay? And thanks so much for being interested in serving and giving back!

• August 3, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Excellent first post, Shannon! I know that I will learn so much from your blog. Again, I’m so excited that you’re writing for Psych Central. 🙂 You have such a powerful message.

• August 4, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Looking forward to reading your blog — welcome. I thanked some of my former mentors on Facebook, after reading your prompt. It was an important thing to do. Thanks for reminding me.

• August 8, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Well that is the coolest thing I’ve heard all week – so awesome to just take some spontaneous time to say thanks! I was reading somewhere recently that people who keep gratitude journals are much happier overall than people who don’t. And I’ll bet the folks around them are happier too! Thanks for sharing your acts of kindness with us. 🙂

• August 5, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Congratulations Shannon on becoming a blogger on PsychCentral!!! I am honored to be a mentor and find it rewarding and always felt the AA community had something with having sponsors that the ED world was missing. I feel honored to know and be connected with you!!!! Cant wait to see how this blog progresses!

• August 8, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I feel the exact same way about YOU, Kendra! And if you’d ever like to write a guest blog post on your experiences as a mentor – or would be willing to be interviewed about it (you choose or we can do both!) just let me know. It would also be incredibly cool to have you share more about your thoughts about how AA and mentoring can learn from each other…am hoping to facilitate more of an ongoing dialogue about that too as we move along. 🙂