11 thoughts on “Stress and Its Good Friend Vertigo

• November 9, 2018 at 5:11 pm

Shannon, I do stretches on the floor every other day. One day I was down on my floor and all of a sudden the room started to spin. This was not a normal dizzy spell. It was awful! It only has happened once. I mean it was terrible! I never want to feel that again. I knew it had to be vertigo. Can the Dr. Help? Is there meds for this? I would have been in trouble if I were driving. Never want to feel that ever again! I feel sorry for ya! Anyway Malti looks cute enjoying her food. She’s a little monster and a cute one at that!

• November 9, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Malti loves her food, that’s for sure! I definitely resonate with your sentiment – and in my case, it may be linked to allergies or my lazy thyroid. It comes and goes making it quite hard to pin down – like taking your car into the shop because it is making “that noise again” but the mechanic doesn’t hear a thing!

• November 16, 2018 at 10:25 am

Hello Shannon! I recently found a website from Australia that teaches how to treat all different kinds of vestibular disorders. The woman who created the website is Joey Remenyi, she is a vestibular audiologist that specializes in treating chronic vertigo and tinnitus. Check out Seeking Balance.com.au to learn more. It is absolutely amazing and has helped me so much! Don’t lose hope! This is something that is curable!

• November 16, 2018 at 11:25 am

Wow – thank you! I have a feeling there are several folks who’ve read this blog post who will be grateful to you for sharing (and I’m one of them)!

• November 16, 2018 at 6:15 pm

I hope that my post gives you hope! There are many people that have vertigo that feel hopeless like they have to live with it for the rest of their life and they don’t. Vertigo is actually more common than people realize and full recovery of symptoms is possible!

• November 16, 2018 at 8:15 pm

It does give me hope! Thank you for taking the time to pay it forward and share what you have found that is helpful!

• November 16, 2018 at 11:39 pm

You are welcome! I don’t want you to feel hopeless. I felt that way for many years thinking I had to live with it but then I realized it got so unbearable I just couldn’t live with it anymore. Your symptoms sound just like what I had that spinning sensation where no position seems to feel right to make it go away or soothe it. I went to my ENT and he prescribed me to a vestibular therapist who discovered I had the bppv and use Epley Maneuvers to treat it. They worked!

• November 16, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Thanks so much for this site. I’ll check it out!! Been dizzy ( and also had some bouts of vertigo, but had treatment for crystals out of balance and that’s better) for a year, from vestibular neuritis. Still trying to get back to normal. Slow but sure, like your 🐢. Had balance testing last week and definitely have inner ear imbalance. Waiting to hear from Dr. as to What’s next. Have had lots of PT which has helped a lot but dizzy is still affecting my quality of life. Will post any helpful new ideas if the Dr. Has any. He’ll be back next week.

• November 16, 2018 at 11:28 pm

S. Banker it is possible that you might have PPPD. It stands for persistent postural perceptional dizziness. It happens after an initial instance of vertigo where the brain filters can’t seem to reset after the initial shock. I actually had a similar thing happen to me. I had bppv but after I treated it (It took 2 years to treat because I had it for 2 years prior but didn’t know what it was ) I still felt dizzy and didn’t know why. That’s when I realized I had pppd. Joey Remenyi on the website I mentioned explains about this condition in more detail. The good news is it is completely reversible.

• November 17, 2018 at 8:20 am

Stress—in fact, too much stimuli of any kind—can exacerbate symptoms. I know, because I have Meniere’s disease. I also suffer from migraine, and I’m hypothyroid, too. I believe it’s all part of an autoimmune disorder.

Often, inner ear issues are helped by a diet low in sodium and sugar. Drugs such as lorazepam can stop an attack of vertigo (severe spinning that leaves a person unable to function) or dizziness. I take when necessary.

Living with a vestibular disorder affects one’s quality of life. The underlying causes are many, and no cure exists—at least for Meniere’s. All we can do is try to lead healthier lives and treat the symptoms.

You’re not responsible for your attacks of dizziness. Your eyes, your ears, and your brain are responding to normal daily stimuli. In people with vestibular disorders, however, it overwhelms our senses. Makes everyday life challenging, especially the ability to socialize, Loud talking, commotion or noise, looking around while driving—all contribute to the “stress” people with vestibular disorders experience. I do deep breathing exercises, which help but don’t totally alleviate the problem,

Thanks for the post. Hope you can find relief from your symptoms.

• November 17, 2018 at 10:45 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story and what you have found helpful. I really appreciate it and I believe other readers will too!