6 thoughts on “Rearranging the Outside to Rearrange the Inside

• September 8, 2018 at 2:21 am

I think rearranging the outside CAN help rearrange the inside. While pushing and pulling (or as I call it, nesting) the act itself frees the mind to work on problems. Some people do that by working out, running or hiking. Doing physical activities allows the brain to wonder around without conscious thought reining it in.

• September 8, 2018 at 9:31 am

Oh I like that idea – of rearranging the outside as “nesting!” (Pearl really likes it too!) that makes such sense! 🙂

• September 8, 2018 at 5:48 pm

I felt the comment was thought provoking… Because at some point i get tired of arrangi g the some old literal things. I know a breakdown is coming when i begin throwing things away. Normally a loss of some kind happens. So the stuff w said person is thrown out.
    Or as ive hit the age of 31 i no longer want to present a certian image. I want things to be as they are not a projection of what they want to be. And then i realize how bare i am without self expression.

• September 8, 2018 at 5:58 pm

Wow – your comment about being (or feeling) bare without self-expression really hit home to me also! Powerful. You and I have a lot in common I think – we both can get a sense of change coming when we catch ourselves arranging and rearranging our stuff!

• September 15, 2018 at 11:31 pm

Rearranging furniture and decor – especially in my personal space, my bedroom – is soothing and makes me feel happy and refreshed. It’s meditative and creative.

When I’m mentally skittering away from some overwhelming, anxiety producing event my avoidance usually takes the form of physical busy-ness like “oh look, I simply MUST scrub this floor and I MUST do it right now!” Or “gee I’d love to do that tax return but I need groceries and I need them from 4 different stores … oh darn, that took all day!”

So I guess what I’m trying to say is the quote might apply to some but not all!
    🙂

• September 16, 2018 at 10:14 am

Oh I’m glad to hear this! I think you and I have a lot in common in how we approach (or don’t) those big anxious to-do list items! 🙂