Many many years ago, I had a mentee who made it a daily habit to create what she called her “gratefuls list.”
It wasn’t just her sincerity of intention that tugged at my heartstrings – it was the charming name she chose for her daily meditations on gratitude.
So on this day, which many of us celebrate as a national day of thanksgiving, I thought I would share a selection from my own gratefuls list with you here in no particular order.
I am grateful for:
- My “inner flock:” My parrot, Pearl, and my two turtles, Malti and Bruce.
- Our puppy, Flash Gordon.
- My parents.
- My boyfriend.
- My best friends.
- Nice people.
- Animals and nature.
- Indoor plumbing.
- Clean, warm water for showering.
- Clean, cool water for drinking.
- Air conditioning and heat.
- Tea and coffee.
- Wine (and vodka, and scotch….)
- My nearly 12-year-old faithful Toyota.
- The color teal (and orange, and green, and purple, and all the other colors as well).
- Sunshine and clouds.
- Pumpkin pie.
- Stuffed animals.
- Art (especially if it features birds and turtles).
- Books (and reading).
- Smart devices with GPS.
- Anything “wireless” (at least when it works).
- Thrift stores.
- Faith (hey, every little bit counts).
- Tiny houses.
- Anything plush, fluffy or over-the-top comfy.
- Cape Cod.
- Freedom from debt.
- Anything very fragrant (especially lavender and jasmine).
- The internet (my brain requested that I add this one).
- Laughter and smiling and happiness and joy.
- Tears (they help the sad get out quicker).
- My mentor….and all my mentors.
- Remote controls.
- Bug spray.
- Hair color (especially the kind that covers grey well).
- Paper towels.
- Netflix and movies and television.
- My Cuisinart K-cup coffee maker.
Oh my gosh….I could keep writing for days, weeks, months….but I have to go eat delicious pumpkin pie now and wash it down with delicious wine while trying to keep my parrot, Pearl, from plate surfing (he likes to get on the table and run away from me and jump onto my dad’s and then my mom’s dinner plate and if I still haven’t caught him by then, he will head for our guests’ plates next….).
Burp. 🙂 Happy Thanksgiving!
Today’s Takeaway: What is on your “gratefuls” list today?
p.s. This post is from my free monthly e-zine, “Good News for Recovery + Life.”