Comments on
Selfies

Unknown-1Why do people take selfies? What is the reason behind it?

Different people have different motivations for taking selfies, and most picture taking of this nature is harmless and meant to share their experience with others.

10 thoughts on “Selfies

• April 15, 2015 at 10:21 am

I don’t think that taking/posting selfies is necessarily a disorder.

Five months ago I moved back to Switzerland, my native Country, after living in Rio de Janeiro for 15 months. I made a lot of friends there whom I really miss, not to mention the Family members that got closer to me as I got there. I feel like social media is one of the best Tools for me to Keep in touch with friends and Family and posting a selfie to me is like saying “hi. I still exist.”

• April 15, 2015 at 11:10 am

Oh give me a break! Nobody has lower self esteem than I do and I won’t allow anyone to post my pic, much less do it myself. Selfies are a trend, probably due to everyone having a phone that is also a camera. And most people I know don’t use their real pics anyway.
    I guess breathing will be the next big psych disorder since “The disorder is called anoxia, and is defined as the obsessive compulsive desire to breathe as a way to make up for the act of dying.”
    I’m sorry but as a person suffering from Major Depressive Disorder, I find this diagnosis ridiculous

• April 15, 2015 at 11:17 am

Selfitis? Sounds like something from the Onion. This is in the DSM V?

• April 15, 2015 at 11:19 am

These psychiatrists are full of crap and just want our cash so they can diagnose us with some bullsh*it and suck our cash out our pockets. Dear future generation, have fun getting your life f***ed by the APA who’ll treat you for some bull and employers won’t hire you when they see “selfitis” in your background checks. APA, get a life and stop butting into people’s personal business. I was diagnosed with an attachment disorder but I quit seeing the therapist because I thought that was some bullcrap by the APA. Those psychiatrists can suck my d*ck and f*ck off, they’ve already done enough – so stop making people’s mental health histories worse with the most pathetic “fancy labels” you guys come up with. Selfitis — seriously dude, what the f*ck?

• April 15, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Sounds more like a symptom of a mental disorder rather than a disorder on its own.

• April 15, 2015 at 8:31 pm

I don’t understand why the comment I posted earlier today has not appeared. It notes, as do some later comments, that this “fact” is, on its face, ridiculous, lacks citations, and is based on a parody from a spoof website. And, in fact, PsychCentral itself has already posted an article in 2014 debunking this very article. The author of this piece did NOT do any research, as a critical reading of the original article would point out glaring holes and a simple google search would have unearthed reputable information debunking the claim. I’m afraid now I will look with distrust on everything this website reports.

• March 29, 2018 at 7:15 am

Informative post regarding selfie, This is called selfieoder disease name usually occurs in girls

• April 15, 2015 at 7:51 pm

oh by the way adobochronicles.com where you got the news is a satirical website based in The Philippines ala “The Onion”

“The disorder is called selfitis, and is defined as the obsessive compulsive desire to take photos of one’s self and post them on social media as a way to make up for the lack of self-esteem and to fill a gap of intimacy” (adobochronicles.com).

• April 16, 2015 at 3:19 am

Uhuh. The name “selfitis” don’t sound professional.

• April 16, 2015 at 3:21 am

Still, “taking constant photos of yourself and posting each photo on social media more than six times a day” does seem like some kind of obsession.