6 thoughts on “Depression in Men and Women

• February 19, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Hmm. I’m a man who suffers from depression (hospitalized twice, half my life on large doses of meds) but I mostly respond in the ways the article attributes to women.

Yes, I realize that studies are about averages, but it was kind of funny to me how totally opposite I apparently am.

I enjoyed the article a lot and think it will help me be more aware of signs of depression in others. Sometimes I don’t realize people are going through depression unless they seem sad or withdrawn.

• February 19, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Edward,

Everybody responds to depression differently. It’s important that you know the signs and symptoms of depression so that you can get help not only for yourself but for others as well.

Thanks for your comment,

Helen

• February 19, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I love the chart that distinguishes the different signs from men and women. So helpful!

• February 19, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Chris,

I am glad you found the chart helpful. I also thought it was a good way to distinguish the signs of depression from men and women.

Thanks for your comment,

Helen

• February 20, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Hi
    From my own experience with depression knowing what triggers as you have mentioned also I think one always has to know what there medication there on as it differs for everyone . I also believe that people should talk about depression as this lifts the stigma , It may be a mental or chemical imbalance ! ( im bipolar ) it may be the same as having diabetes . in Ireland we have more suicides than car crashes. At least we have a great TV networks now who are lifting the stigma .LETS TALK and LISTEN to each other .

• February 20, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Hello,

I agree that you do need to know the side effects of your medication as it may cause someone to have symptoms of depression. Talking about your depression is important to help lift the stigma and to get the support you need from others who care. Depression is something that you should not be ashamed of. By talking to others it will help you to feel connected, that people do actually care and want to help make a difference to your life.

Thanks for your comment,