Mother’s Day Musings
Today is Mother’s day. Many of you may be celebrating with breakfast in bed, brunch with family, or some well deserved R&R. It’s an important day of recognition for all the incredible mamas out there who do so much for their families and it is worth celebrating. And yet, Mother’s day is an extremely difficult day for so many women and their families and we do not do enough to acknowledge that.
- 15% of couples are struggling to conceive and coping with infertility
- 10-30% of women have lost a pregnancy
- 1 in 7 moms or moms-to-be are coping with a perinatal mood or anxiety disorder
- Many families are working against tremendous obstacles to adopt children
- Countless families are coping with the loss of a child
- Some women are dealing with the loss of their own mothers
This is not to say don’t celebrate. Moms deserve a special day! But perhaps celebrate with acknowledgment and recognition this this is a loaded day for so many people, and consider reaching out to friends and family who may need a little extra support. Have a great holiday!
, . (2017). Mother’s Day Musings. Psych Central. Retrieved on June 27, 2017, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/maternity-matters/2017/05/mothers-day-musings/