This week marks Maternal Mental Health Awareness Week. Started by The National Coalition for Maternal Mental Health (NCMMH), this is a week to get educated, raise awareness, and advocate for better screening, treatment, funding, and research for perinatal mood and anxiety disorders. Why?
Because depression, anxiety, and other mental health concerns are the MOST COMMON COMPLICATIONS OF PREGNANCY AND THE POSTPARTUM PERIOD! Follow NCMMH on twitter to see the daily ways they are marking the week which include:
- #MoreThanDepressionMonday will focus on spotlighting the symptoms of postpartum depression that extend beyond depression.
#TruthTuesday will focus on the facts surrounding maternal mental health and its impact.
#World Wednesday will be a call-to-action for people to take a selfie wearing blue with the hashtag #ConnectTheDots.
#ThinkOfHerThursday will include ways friends and family can help someone they know is suffering.
#FearlessFriday will encourage those who are suffering to share their story and to participate in a Twitter #PPDChat with national leaders.
#SayItSaturday NCMMH will release shareable video content produced specifically for Maternal Mental Health Week..
#SaveTheDateSunday will promote the viewing of the latest documentary addressing maternal mental health disorders, “When the Bough Breaks”
And here are some additional ways to mark the week.
- Tell your representative to fund maternal mental health initiatives.
- Raise awareness through the #connectthedots campaign, which helps to connect families with community and support.
- Check in on your friends and family who are pregnant or postpartum. Ask how they are doing and really listen.
- Consider traveling to DC for advocacy days.
Visit the National Coalition for Maternal Mental Health’s website for more information and consider participating in the following daily events.