7 thoughts on “Is Your Sleep Issue PTSD?

• January 29, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Have you ever thought of trying to adopt a biphasic sleep pattern? Its generally thought to be the most natural.
    Earlyish to bed and then awake midnightish for about two hours when you can work /study or whatever then back to the pit when you get the nod offs.

• January 30, 2018 at 11:24 am

I’ve never heard of that but, I makes sense if I am going to be up for a couple of hours in the middle of the night, might as well be productive then sit there and stress. Thanks Sandy, e

• January 31, 2018 at 1:30 pm

I’ve had sleep issues starting with terrible nightmares in childhood. As an adult, whenever my stress levels increase, the nightmares kick in again. My dad was a violent man and I witnessed him abusing my mother and he abused me, too. I was sexually molested by two members within my extended family. It was only two years ago when I was diagnosed with major depression that the psychiatrist told me I had chronic PTSD starting from childhood. I’m now taking Cymbalta and Trazodone which has the added effect of aiding sleep through the night. However, I never wake up feeling refreshed. My husband called me a night owl but, not so. PTSD is at the bottom of it all.

• January 31, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Thanks Heather for your post. I’ve given a lot of thought recently to PTSD, and truly believe it needs more attention particularly when trying to treat mental illness, and over all behavior. People can get diagnosed with a mental illness when really it’s PTSD, for I believe our culture doesn’t quite get what it is, or the impact it can have on ones mental well being. Your story speaks to that and I appreciate your input. e

• January 31, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Erica, I totally agree with you!

It’s only now at age 67, and with the help of so many good articles written on PsychCentral, good books and the psychiatrist’s diagnoses, that I’ve finally been able to make sense of my life. As a child I was labeled hyperactive, sometimes even crazy because I would get wound up so very easily and couldn’t sit still. Teachers sent home notes to my parents saying that I wouldn’t pay attention in class and I was fidgety, but not a one considered that there may be something going on with me. The nightmares and sleep walking took its toll on me. The traumas of being abused and witnessing abuse was affecting me to the extent that I was a child full of anxieties and often afraid to go to sleep. Some of the nightmares were so awful that it would take weeks to get beyond them, meanwhile, I would have more nightmares piled on. It’s no wonder that the next day I was messed up at school and couldn’t concentrate. So, I was labeled by teachers and family alike as the chid that couldn’t behave herself. Anyway, you are absolutely correct when you say that our culture doesn’t quite get what it is or the impact it has on ones mental well being. Erica, thank you for your article and allowing me to shed light on what others have no idea about. Bless you.

• January 31, 2018 at 4:15 pm

God bless everyone right!! I grew up thinking maybe I had ADHD cause I was hyper then was diagnosed at 28 with Bipolar II aka chronic hypo mania, and it wasn’t until I turned 40 last year did I start to rethink my diagnosis. I’ve had a good life despite my mental health challenges but I am not so sure my issue is chronic hypo mania more so than it is trauma at a young age. To be honest, I write poetry and this behavioral therapist read my work on a poetry forum online and contacted me cause he saw elements of trauma brought forth through my writing which I was not aware of. It was WILD but it got me thinking about how much I’ve missed in understanding my behavior and issues which are not strictly rooted in a mental health diagnosis. I’m turning 41 soon and it’s as if I am just now beginning to learn. It’s exciting, hard, scary and kinda sad it took so long for us to understand the power of trauma but, hopefully with advocates like you who read and share we can move the needle just a tad to bring awareness. Thanks again, e

• January 31, 2018 at 4:44 pm