Comments on
What Sets You Off?

One symptom of mania can be irritability. I faced it throughout my life and even with medication to calm the storm, I find moments when I feel the irritability hit me like a lightening bolt.

10 thoughts on “What Sets You Off?

• January 3, 2018 at 10:18 am

1. Smalltalk completely annoys me because it feels insincere; in truth few people care how one ‘really feels’.

2. People who interrupt me when I am trying to say something.

3. Rude behaviors like people playing on their cellphone with the sound on in a public place.

4. When my pets (one dog, two cats) refuse to go in/out together and instead go in/out separately several times in a row – all day.

5. Spam phone calls/emails.

• January 3, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Now, your #7, I can relate with. The rest, I figure those are small things. Big deal. We’ve handled worse much easier.

I Hulk out when somebody hurts a friend or calls me a liar. (English is a bear! – Try Grammarly).

Small things? The cats start clumping around me a half hour before meals and/or they don’t remember to go where they get fed right away. I think they believe this one thing is what they do must be done to get their food.

Another small thing, all encompassing, is when some little thing won’t quite work. “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Then give up. No use acting silly.” – Mad magazine.

I don’t think stupid drivers is a small thing but I’m usually able to hold my road rage down. After all, I can’t throw stones.

• January 3, 2018 at 1:30 pm

1. Impatient people who then become passive aggressive because a (service) person is too slow. (Cashiers, wait staff, etc.)

2. Name dropping because they want to jump to the front of a very long line.

3. Truly believe they are the most important person in the universe and demand to be treated as such. (Then proceed to make an a$s of themselves by throwing a tantrum.)

• January 5, 2018 at 1:08 pm

1. When I talk, ask a question & husband ignores me.
    2. When my cat meows for no reason, endlessly

However, most of my manic irritability disappeared after I got onto the proper dose of depakote. I used to “lose it” nearly every day, especially over things like husband not putting away his items, too much stuff on tables/counter tops, noise, bright lights etc. etc.

• January 5, 2018 at 4:18 pm

1. When speaking with someone they don’t comment or even acknowledge what I said and then change the subject.

• January 5, 2018 at 4:31 pm

2. When my laptop shuts down for no known reason.
    3. When neighbours don’t shovel their sidewalk and/or put down snow melter putting everyone at risk of falling.
    4. Telemarketers calling at all hours.
    5. Self-centred family members.
    6. Family who try to talk to you through the bathroom door!
    7. People who don’t clean up after their dogs.
    8. People who refuse to budge their super sized strollers on the bus so you can walk past safely.
    9. Being thrown off balance when making your way to the bus exit because the driver is speeding.
    10. Acid reflux which tastes like the meds you just swallowed.

• January 6, 2018 at 9:33 am

Noise. Anything that is too loud, even talking or the TV. It is really bad. I feel like my head will explode and I want to scream and throw things.

• January 6, 2018 at 9:35 am

Oh, I also had an ant investation a while ago and I felt like I was losing my mind. It felt like I was going to become delusional at any moment.

• February 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm

Things that irritate or agitate me differ from day to day and sometimes continues day to day.

1. I had Achilles tendon surgery so cannot get around very good. Yesterday I put something in the kitchen garbage and for the umpteenth time when I hit the top of it to seat the lid the spring on one side made it gap open. I lost it and punched my fist through it!

2. People who walk in front of me in the store and just stop and stand in my way for no apparent reason.

3. The dog acts like he needs to go out (stands by the door, whines,etc) but won’t budge once the door is open.

4. People telling me they will do something for me but don’t. Once in a while I get but not on a regular basis.

5.Random people flipping me the bird

6.And I loath small talk! Always have. I am sure nobody really cares how I’m doing. (Foot surgery anyone?)

• February 11, 2018 at 2:11 pm