10 thoughts on “Bipolar II: A History of Insomnia & Being Traumatized By It.

• June 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I empathesize both with enduring years of insomnia and of memory-demons which won’t go away. I’m trying to write out my bipolar demons in a novel. Only time will tell if the exorcism is successful.

• June 17, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I am bipolar I, my cycles run through rather fast, on any given day, I can be up, then down, then up again… My emotions run toward the depression cycle cycle more often and for longer periods of time. I have been under psychiatric care and counseling for over 11 years since I was diagnosed and take a cocktail of men’s to keep me as stable as possible, I still have insomnia. Even with the depression. I have no medical problems while I sleep, but I wake up on the average of every hour on the hour. I have been doing this for two decades, sleeping mess don’t help. So, this insomnia is not just a problem suffered by people that are on a mania cycle.

• June 17, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your sleep troubles Cheryl. I didn’t mean to simplfy insomnia just as Bipolar II cause sleep issues effect a lot of people. Really sucks to wake up every hour. I wake up every three hours even with a sleep medicatoin. Thanks for sharing. e

• June 18, 2014 at 9:44 pm

THANK YOU so much for explaining this. I’ve experienced this my entire life and only recently knew the BP2 was part of it’s cause. I’m continually baffled that I actively fear and avoid sleep at “bedtime” yet sleep peacefully in daytime naps. This brings me great solice that it’s not something I’m imaging or mis-remembering for my childhood. As a child the anxiety was like night terrors but while awake. Obviously diagnosis , meds, therapy and exercise has helped but some shadows of that pain remain. Thank you again.

• June 19, 2014 at 10:09 am

Thanks Jen for your comment. It’s a combination of nature and nurture working at it’s worse. Your brain (nature) has a mental illness and your surroundings or life experiences with a mental illness (nurture) have their say too.. e

• June 18, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Insomnia, the gift that keeps on giving!

• June 20, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I also have bipolar II. Took over 40 years to get a correct diagnosis. I was incorrectly diagnosed as having unipolar, dysthymic depression all those years.

I had insomnia that came and went. Seemed it was usually associated with a depressive episode. I’d fall asleep okay, then wake up at 3a.m. or such and not be able to get back to sleep. I did my share of clock watching. Then I’d fall asleep 30 minutes before the alarm went off, grrrr.

You see, the doc and therapist would only see me in a depression. I didn’t feel I needed to go during a hypomania. I was feeling great!

Sometimes, I was actually ‘stable’ for a few years at a time, though I still took an antidepressant anyway. The older I got, though, the worse those depressions became. Then I had a hypomania that bordered on a full blown mania. Then I went into severe depression that lasted a solid year. I think my husband’s sudden death triggered those moods. It was horrible, but it did enable my therapist (not a doc)to diagnose me as having bipolar II.

I don’t know why some call it ‘bipolar light’ or ‘soft bipolar’. It was just as miserable.

• July 17, 2014 at 10:46 am

Hey Pamster, your comment really helps. It’s funny that with Bipolar II people tend to think we’re just up and happy when really I too experienced a year of depression that I only truly understood once I got out of it. Bipolar II is a tough beast that most people either are ignorant to, or lack exposure, or understanding of it’s symptoms and that can be hard on us. Thanks for sharing, e

• June 21, 2014 at 11:12 pm

OMG….That is ME!….just a little older. I was 22 years old. I had to be at work for 6:00am which meant getting up at 5:00am. I would start to panic in the evenings. The Tic Tic of 60 Minutes still haunts me and it’s been almost 30 years ago. I was sleeping 2 to 3 hours a night, working at a job where I was on my feet for 8 hours, then hitting the gym everyday to stay thin. Life was BRUTAL. What I take to go to sleep now would put a horse to sleep which is 500mg of Seroquel, 10mg of Ambien, 80mg of Geoddon, and 1mg of Xanax, all that and I ain’t DEAD!… This combination seems to be working but every now and then I have to take a couple of sips of wine…I know I know, I ain’t DEAD yet!…. Having insomnia, Being Bi Polar wasn’t enough…I had THYROID CANCER in 2005!!!…I know I know and I ain’t DEAD yet!…Thanks for sharing, I hope you find relief somehow. Sincerely, Desiree Cart Dugas

• July 17, 2014 at 10:39 am

Desiree, thanks for your candid honestly about your meds for insomnia. I take restoral after more than a few sips of wine which probably isn’t the smartest thing but it works 😉