Some have said there has been limited information out there regarding the coronavirus. Below is a cheat sheet to help educate those unclear about the basics of the virus:
1. What is Coronavirus?
- Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses. Many of them infect animals,
but some coronaviruses from animals can evolve into a new
human coronavirus that can spread from person-to-person.
2. What are the symptoms?
- Difficulty breathing
- Severe illness
3. How is it spread?
- Close personal contact through coughing and sneezing
- Touching a surface or object that contains the virus on it then spreading it to our mouth, nose, or eyes without washing your hands.
4. Where is the highest risk for contracting the coronavirus if I travel?
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that people avoid all
nonessential travel to mainland China.
5. How is it treated?
- There is no specific treatment for illness caused by the novel coronavirus, but any of the symptoms
can be treated which is based on the patient’s condition.
6. What can I do to protect myself?
- Wash your hands frequently even if you don’t think they are dirty
- Wash your hands after using the bathroom, before and after you eat, and after coughing or sneezing
- If you don’t have access to soap and water to thoroughly wash your hands use hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth even if you just washed your hands
- Clean surfaces and frequently touched objects like your phone and door knobs
- Limit close contact with people who are sick
Having said that, as of today there are over 92,000 cases globally, infections in more than 70 countries, and California (my home state) recorded its first death by the coronavirus. But, I’m not going to stress cause if I practice what I preach, that’s the best anyone can do for now.