12 Stupid Excuses Sexual Harassers Make To Justify Their Behavior
No matter how silly it may be, sexual harassers can find a way to justify their behavior on multiple levels. Here is a list of excuses some predators can make to themselves when they are acting inappropriately.
- I was just moving some hair away from her face – so I can help you see better ok!
- Her skirt was too short – so why don’t I help you pull it down?
- I am having marital problems – so I am more or less open to anything
- I thought she was sending me signals – you can do pretty much do anything, and I will find a way to spin it and make it your fault
- I thought sending you flowers would be a nice gesture since you are having a bad day – is it a sin to be nice?
- I reserved the penthouse suite for our meeting – who wouldn’t want to see the view from a luxurious five star hotel?
- #Me too campaign – people will make any excuse to jump onboard a trend or bandwagon
- You asked to meet with me privately – so I can close and lock the door for your privacy
- I received a grievance from HR which makes no sense – that was ages ago, and I don’t remember anything
- I am the CEO of this firm – so you are just looking for a payout
- I am famous in several circles – so you just want a piece of fame and media attention
- I gave you a raise – with more money, there are always gonna be more problems!
As ridiculous as any excuse is, a sexual harasser is a master manipulator not only toward their victims but sadly, often times they manipulate themselves into believing such stupidity.
Loberg, E. (2017). 12 Stupid Excuses Sexual Harassers Make To Justify Their Behavior. Psych Central. Retrieved on February 19, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/manic-depression/2017/12/05/12-stupid-excuses-sexual-harassers-make-to-justify-their-behavior/