Menopause and What to Expect
Here are some symptoms:
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Vaginal dryness and discomfort during sex
- Difficulty sleeping
- Low mood or anxiety
- Reduced sex drive (libido)
- Problems with memory and concentration
I read the list and smiled. Yes! I’ve already experienced some of these symptoms for the majority of my life due to my illness so, I will be prepared!
Difficulty sleeping – CHECK
- Insomnia is hypo manic’s middle name, and I’ve dealt with it my whole life.
Night sweats – CHECK
- I forget what medication I was on but a few years ago I took a medication that gave me horrible night sweats. I stopped taking it but at least I know what’s up. Sleep with a towel and you’re good.
Low mood or anxiety – CHECK
- I have a mood disorder that is rooted in anxiety so got that covered.
Reduced sex drive – CHECK
- When I am on a medication that lowers my sex drive I know how it feels to lose my libido.
The rest of them I am not familiar with but, it makes me happy to know that I have had a lifetime of handling a mental illness that carries similar symptoms, so to some degree I already have training wheels in place so that’s good.
Welcome 40! When it’s time time for the big M, I’ll be better then ready, or more so then most!
Loberg, E. (2017). Menopause and What to Expect. Psych Central. Retrieved on June 25, 2017, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/manic-depression/2017/04/12/menopause-and-what-to-expect/