12 thoughts on “How Sleep Is Affected By ADHD

• February 13, 2016 at 6:14 pm

I am a Doctor of Oriental Medicine. I have and treat many with ADD and ADHD using acupuncture and Chinese herbs. It works!

• February 14, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Mon,

That’s so awesome! Do you have a website where people could read more information about that?

Whitney

• February 13, 2016 at 11:06 pm

It is so true. My whole life sleeping was a dark time for me. Forcing myself to sleep could takes me up to 4 hours. If I wake up during the night, same story. Multiple, full of action dreams make my feel exhausted when I get up.
    I never liked sleeping because of all these

• February 14, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Nova,

I think a lot of readers on here can relate to your struggles. Have you found any tricks/tips/medicines that help with your symptoms?

Wishing you well,
      Whitney

• February 13, 2016 at 11:42 pm

My ADHD child is now 20. He has always had sleep issues. As a baby – he rarely slept more than 45 minutes at a time – an hour to get him back to sleep – for another 45 minutes. We tried the Ferber sleep training at 10 months out of desperation. It didn’t work… after a week – we were all crying. We co slept after that. He only ever seemed to fall asleep well in his car seat – because of course, he was strapped in. As a toddler/preschooler – I would like down with him and hold him til he fell asleep… he was diagnosed with severe ADHD at age 7. It has been a struggle all along – for him and for us. He is still up half the night and then sleeps til noon. My husband wakes him up before he leaves for work and gives him his 12 hour Concerta while he’s still half asleep and less combative (it’s hard to get him to take his pills once he’s wide awake and oppositional – worse with me than with his dad – and we have to see him physically take them because he often lies about it otherwise.)

• February 14, 2016 at 4:59 pm

arenarodent,

I’m so sorry your son (and you guys) have had to struggle with this for so long! I can only imagine how much more difficult those sleeping problems would make life for your son. Adjusting to adulthood is hard enough without having to fight exhaustion all day long.

I know a lot of people on this site will understand what you’re going through. I hope one (or more) of them will reach out to you! Do you have any advice for others in similar situations?

Thanks for opening up,

Whitney

• February 14, 2016 at 12:16 am

My granddaughter has always had trouble falling asleep. She would tell us she couldn’t settle down. Now, when she has trouble, we give her a child dose of melatonin, with her doctor’s permission, and it helps so much! I might add that she is almost 4, and has slept more than 8 hours maybe 5 times her whole life.

• February 14, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Suzaniam,

It’s so great to hear that the melatonin helps her! So many parents/caretakers in this circle understand exactly what your family is going through. It’s exhausting for an entire family to be woken up in the middle of the night for years and years.

I hope your journey continues to improve as she grows older. Thanks for reaching out to share your story.

Whitney

• February 15, 2016 at 5:25 am

I am 22 and am being evaluated for ADHD. I have had a difficult time with sleep my whole life. Nightmares that make me feel unrested as described above. Only sleeping six hours per night as a teen and taking hours to fall asleep as a child, which only fed fear of the dark and nightmares. My parents didn’t understand what was happening or how to help cope, so I was relegated to lying in bed from my set bed time to my set wake time from early. Many behavioral problems at school that were overlooked as boredom due to high functioning intelligence. Only the 8 hour work day of my adult life has made the problem impossible to deny.

Last night I went to bed exhausted at 8 but lay there for hours, unable to stop my racing thoughts or to lie comfortably still. I wake early for work and saw this article first thing. Peculiar that I should see it just when I probably needed to make the association between ADHD and my problems sleeping.

• February 17, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Kat,

It makes my heart so happy to know this article found you at just the right time! It’s so awesome how Jesus works that way.

Have you talked to your medical doctor about your problems sleeping? How are you coping with ADHD in your adult life? I’d love to know more about the ways you’re making life easier for yourself (if you’ve found anything that works).

If you need any help, you know where to come!

Whitney

• February 15, 2016 at 6:53 am

I have struggled my whole life with sleeping. I have ADHD. My 7yr old son with ADHD and SPD does as well. His doctor had us start Melaton about 6 month before he started school. It has been a life changer for us 60% of the time. There are long stretches of times where it does not help him at all. It is only helpful for myself maybe 20% of the time. Sleeping meds do not generally work for me as well. It is crazy. I feel so bad for my little guy…he works so hard. I have found that if I set my alarm for 1-2 hours before I am supposed to wake up and take my ADHD meds (Adderall Er) I actually go back to sleep (most days) and get the best 1-2 hours of sleep ever! I then can wake up and feel much better. I hope as my son starts his meds soon it will work for him as well. It is crazy how sleep comes so naturally for so many and I rejoice for that 1-2 hours. People just don’t understand how hard the world is to function in without sleeping.

• February 17, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Sarah,

I’m so sorry you guys have had such a long battle against your own sleeping abilities! That is truly an awful thing to go through. When my first child was a baby, she woke up every two hours, all night long, until her second birthday. I don’t know what it’s like to try to sleep with ADHD, but I know what it’s like to try to function with no sleep, and it’s horrible! You really do have my sympathies.

It’s nice to hear that you’ve found a few solutions that work for you. I wish you and your son well, and I hope that you find even better solutions soon! Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Whitney