Comments on
3 Signs You Do Not Have ADHD: Part II

Introduction

In my previous article I discussed three reasons why individuals with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity may not have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.  They include finishing projects, a friend suggesting you get tested for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder,

8 thoughts on “3 Signs You Do Not Have ADHD: Part II

• October 7, 2016 at 7:54 am

Some of us that have had it a long time have developed coping mechanisms and research in order to find more tools to use.

I ran a business for almost 20 years with ADHD.
    It can be overcome but takes a lot of work.
    Some people used to say I was too organized. The thing they didn’t realize was that I had to be or I would have failed miserably.

• October 8, 2016 at 10:08 am

Thank you for your comment.

• October 7, 2016 at 9:45 pm

As a kid I was very anal and organized. This was bc I had exceedingly high levels of anxiety. What also happened is i could and did read many books, but only those of interest. Beyond that I found it hard to focus/comprehend when reading other material. And I was told in school I could do better if I tried harder.

Dr. Amen’s book on the 7types of ADHD reveals the myriad ways people experience and manifest ADHD. These 3 reasons stated in this article have some merit but for the most part is terribly simplistic, and potentially harmful if someone walks away believing bc they are searching for ADHD on google they then likely don’t have it.

I didn’t speak a lot bc I was very anxious as a child and was shy, and also bc my mother unknowingly had ADHD and spoke nonstop. Were I to go by the article I don’t have it. And yet, I do.

• October 8, 2016 at 10:07 am

Thank you for your point.

• October 8, 2016 at 1:16 am

Thank you, so true!

• October 8, 2016 at 9:47 am

Yes. Yes and YES!

• October 8, 2016 at 11:49 pm

Totally agree with the other comments. Additionally it’s important to consider the different types of ADHD according to the DSM5, plus there is variety even within those dx. I.e. maybe someone has the correct number of sx but doesn’t have issues with impulsivity. Yes this is an over diagnosed disorder but maybe we should be referring people to mental health clinicians instead of supporting self diagnosis by internet.

• August 24, 2017 at 8:55 pm

I disagree with the notion that people who are researching ADHD do not have it and just have anxiety. I know plenty of people who I’ve met in my support group who were surprised to get the diagnosis as an adult and weren’t argumentative as to whether or not they had it. When my psychiatrist suggested it, my response was to do some research and, for me, it was like, “Oh my god, this is me, this is more me than anything else, ever!” So, I think you can definitely have it even if you’re researching it.