23 thoughts on “7 Mindfulness Tips from Your Dog

• September 14, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Reading things like this makes me wish I had a dog myself.

I don’t. But I do, however, live next door to two absolutely adorable pups. And they’re like our own dogs; they run up to the fence when we come outside, all happy and tails wagging. And I agree. Dogs don’t worry or ruminate on unimportant matters. Their life is food, sleep, play and most importantly, their owners (or the neighbours of the owners). Another thing worth mentioning is dogs know when somethings wrong, and not just in terms of natural disasters. There have been days I’ve gone outside feeling sad or worried and they’ll just wander on up to the fence and just sit there, looking at me with their adorable puppy eyes. And if I go down to the fence line, they’ll get up on their hind legs and rest their their front legs upon my arms.
    And then normally one gets jealous of the other and a barking war ensues.

• September 17, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Thanks for stopping by and sharing!

• September 17, 2014 at 10:26 am

I live with four dogs that are all from a rescue group. Although I never thought I would be living with FOUR, it is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. Their unconditional love and devotion has carried me through all kinds of negatives in my life.
    And it’s true, and they have taught me, how to live in the here and now. Their simplistic way of life is refreshing every day. Humanity could learn a lot from their code of conduct with one another.
    Sure I have had to make sacrifices to have this many dogs, in more ways than one. But I can depend on their judgement in so many ways it has been more than worth it.
    The only problem is that they don’t live long enough. : (

• September 17, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I love your personal story – thanks for taking the time to post!

• September 17, 2014 at 11:02 am

I’ve seen plenty of similar advice. I certainly don’t argue with it. Robert Fulgum’s “every thing I needed to learn, I learned in kindergarten” (and other stories and books) should be required reading and listening. A lot of parallel observations have been done. I have one on Star Trek.
    But I have recently bought a nice little book, “every l need to know I learned from a little golden book” by diane muldrow. It is the same size as the other golden books with the same gold binding. It is a walk down memory lane and a surprising discovery to see what these little book did teach us, without it being obvious. Most of the books mentioned were originally done in the early 1950s.
    I have found that you can learn something from everything, even that you don’t like college philosophy when basic philosophy is such a pain after all. Physics can be similar. Physics, in general, is pretty simple. Instructors just make it harder.
    But there is something special about animals. Dogs especially. I’m mostly a cat person, but I can’t help admire any dog I see. They are terrific companions when compatible with their human and trained well.

• September 17, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Interesting insight on physics – you have given us all something to ponder 🙂

• September 17, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I have learned more about loving relationships (what I will, what I can accept in a man I love) from my dogs than from virtually anything else. How comfortable life will become when I view him as a flesh and blood human being with demons and warts rather than imposing all those unrealistic cultural relationship myths imposed on us all. And as we tend to outlive our dogs I can also learned that any relationship I commit to has enhanced me, my life regardless of the outcome. As such I retain an affectionate fondness even with my ex and with most of the men I’ve loved and love

• September 17, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Dogs really are a wonderful gift!

• September 17, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I think all my dogs have shown me that if you take care of the everyday stuff – food, exercise, sleeping, and simply being with a friend or loved one – other problems seem less overwhelming. In walks they can bring us closer to nature — even if they want to chase it! – if we let ourselves be more like them in paying attention to everything around. Altho’ I named my current pup Yoda, he hasn’t shown great wisdom, just exuberance when he has a chance to run at full speed for any reason at all.

• September 17, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I’m with you – dogs teach us a LOT! Thanks for the post.

• September 17, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I loved your article!! And I absolutely concur…but please! Have someone proofread your articles. Typos and misspelled words just seem to take something from even the most thought provoking and delightful articles. Anal? Maybe…

• September 18, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Hi, Spamela,

Thanks for sharing and I am glad you liked. I do wish I had an editor to proof-read the work but this is not the case. All of us who blog here do it for free. There will be grammar issues from time to time. I hope you can see past the glitches and absorb the substance of the post 🙂

• September 18, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I loved this post and you did a great job capturing the true message our dogs are trying to communicate to us. Nice post John!

• September 19, 2014 at 8:45 am

I really enjoyed this post and have shared with friends. Everything you shared is absolutely true about dogs!

• October 10, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Thank you for this blog… Recently I have had a very Special Little Man come into my life. Staying with friends he has only been with them for 4 mths his owner no longer wanted him 🙁 His so unique that I had the urge to google, “Is it true that a Dog can actually help us or heal us from emotionally loss or turmoil in our lives. And all that by simply just been themselves and loving us. The bond that can develop between us and them. Roy is a scottie with the biggest heart, cutest face and short little legs. He has filled my heart and showed me what it feels like to receive unconditional love again.

• October 10, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Hi, Wendy,

Thank you so much. I am glad you enjoyed this blog post! I love the story you shared about Roy! He sounds lucky to have found you! I can tell you love him very much. And how wonderful to experience his unconditional love. Thanks again for this wonderful post:)

• November 3, 2014 at 12:13 am

Hi, Wendy,

Just wanted to say thanks for the post! So glad you stopped by to share.

• November 19, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Hi. It has only been 6 months since 2 year old Luna & I met. We have similarities which is what drew me to her. We both struggle with anxiety. I’m more conscious of managing mine because I don’t want to add to hers. And since I spend a lot of time reassuring her and respecting her limits, I’m also becoming more gentle with myself. I have a lot of empathy for her and more for myself. In coming to accept & work with her fears & anxieties, I am accepting my own more.

• November 19, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Hi, Luna,

Just wanted to say thanks so much for sharing here – very meaningful to read (for me and all!).

• November 29, 2014 at 9:59 am

My dog Samantha, aka “Sammie,” has been my constant fan and companion since I rescued her from the pound. She was nearly dead from sickness. She grew to be robust, a playmate, a huge comfort when my family died, a guard dog when I got divorced, and a mindfulness expert who sat and awaited the dawn every morning and sat with me to hear the birds grow silent as night fell. She is very good at asking me to fulfill needs, like walks, dinner, petting, etc. I take her on trips in the car when it isn’t hot. She loves being included. She has kept me together when I moved here to the city, has made me feel needed and loved when I felt lonely. She is a constant reminder that I need to stay in the present, as her needs don’t go away when I am worried or depressed, so I am forced back into the present many times a day. She is a life coach, and a gift from God.

• November 29, 2014 at 11:30 am

Pam, I love reading this. Truly! Thank you for sharing. It sounds like Sammie is a Godsend for sure. And you, in turn a Godsend to Sammie. So glad you stopped by!

• March 28, 2015 at 4:56 pm

I was just wondering if you knew the breed of the first image showed of a brown puppy.

• March 28, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Hi, Scarlett,

Thanks for the post. I do not know the breed but I am thinking there is some type of beagle in him (could be wrong). That pup is super cute for sure!

Best,