9 thoughts on “Are You An Empath or Just A Highly Sensitive Person?

• January 13, 2020 at 8:57 pm

I didn’t realise that I was an empath until a few years ago. I had always been described as sensitive or moody and even wondered if I had bipolar issues. I have had experiences I cannot rationally explain and have episodes of intense feelings often at unexpected times or places. It’s blooody inconvenient a lot of the time but I am an excellent communicator because of it. Double edged sword.

• January 14, 2020 at 8:15 am

Hello, Ida,

I have heard it is a double edged sword from people. I can imagine there are challenging aspects involved. Thanks for stopping by.

John

• January 13, 2020 at 11:20 pm

As a sensitivity expert I get asked this a lot and I’ve found it challenging to separate the two. Those scoring high in my Sensitivity Quiz display that ability to absorb emotions of others to such a degree it is difficult to separate. Fascinating subject!

• January 14, 2020 at 8:14 am

Hi, Julie,

Thanks for sharing. I agree, a fascinating subject for sure! I appreciate you stopping by.

John

• January 15, 2020 at 2:04 pm

Thank you for this article. I realized at a young age I was clairvoyant (I didn’t know the term, I just realized I often knew the outcome of events). I was in my twenties before I understood this wasn’t something everyone could do. I always hesitated to explore this ability further because whenever I did I realized I was as aware of the person’s thoughts and expectations it was difficult to sort them out from any impression I was receiving. I have several friends who can effectively use their gifts for money I knew if I added the need to provide a service for a fee it take things from confusing to stressful. I’m 58 and have just recently realized being aware of other people’s thoughts and feelings comes from being an empath. I’m in the process of learning to shield myself when necessary and other skills that may help me avoid being overwhelmed. I’m not sure that will allow me to explore my other gift to the point of seeking an answers for other folks. I think it would be fun to try, afterall, what good is a gift if you can’t use it to help others. I don’t see myself accepting payment but the future is fluid, that’s the tricky part. 😉

• January 15, 2020 at 7:19 pm

I have no idea whether I am an empath or not, but I have been intrigued since I first became aware that some people are. Here is the thing: I have seemingly begun taking on actual pain from my eldercare job. My client has chronic upper shoulder pain (left side)….mine begins to mimic hers. My friend has terrible pain in her hips and walks strangely. I spend time with her and my hips hurt and I even begin to walk like her. This really caught my attention and I now sit and meditate and release these physical pains using breath work. My intuition told me this would help and it does. Now that I’m aware this can happen to me, I am careful to notice if I think I’m picking up on something that doesn’t belong to me.

• January 15, 2020 at 8:07 pm

It is unsurprising that there’s wide variation in the given human trait, such as empathy (along with specialised physiology described in the linked page). However, unless empaths demonstrate some extraordinary abilities, such as being able to sense whether there’s a person behind a wall, it’s hard to separate the beliefs about supernatural powers from pre-scientific superstition.

• January 16, 2020 at 3:55 pm

I’m both sensitive and empathic, and I feel that both of them go hand and hand…. or, perhaps I’m wrong? To be empathic, requires sensitivity to other people’s emotions. If you don’t have sensitivity then you won’t be able to empathize with others. Correct?

Rebecca,

Mediumship means that you are ‘Asensitive.’ There are lots of mediums who are not ‘Sensitive’ people, but being Asensitive means that you have a heightened awareness of the energies around you thus, being able to use the ability in different ways ie.,

ClairVoyance… is seeing through the third eye and this can be objective or subjective.

ClairSentient… feeling the energies of Spirit which is a heightened awareness.

ClairAudient… hearing Spirit which can be hearing the Spirit person talking into your ear or, a voice in your head. That’s when people think your nuts! lol There are more but, I won’t go into that.

If you are a Medium then, you are also Psychic because they go hand in hand. However, there are many people who are Psychic but they’re not Mediumistic. So, it’s your mediumistic and psychic energies that you are tapping into and gives you the ability to feel and sense another’s energies, mood and pain etc.

I think I might have added more than needed but, were talking about two different things and it’s not all one and the same….just to confuse the issue. Have a great day!

• January 16, 2020 at 7:34 pm

I definitely know now that I’m an empath because I can feel everything you feel because I describe almost precisely what a person feels when they tell me a problem. Also my communication with animals can calm even the abused ones down without me saying a word. It definitely has it’s downside because the feelings are so intense sometimes but it’s also made me great at communicating with people.