6 thoughts on “7 Benefits of Doodling You Might Not Know

• September 27, 2017 at 7:55 am

In Japan, students are encouraged to doodle in the margins of their notebooks. Theachers realised that it helped their students more easily recall what they had written in their notes. Japan does tend to have a far more collaborative classroom environment and the majority of Japanese are visual-spatial learners.

The North American school system is a competitive environment that reflects the competitive nature of the colonial culture. Unfortunately that competitive mentality extends to teachers so that the teacher imposing their will, and by extension, training children to fear and comply with authority figures is the primary goal. Not surprisingly the Millgram experiment demonstrated just how effective the system is at teaching the lessons of submission and compliance to authority. End result is that North American students are deprived of an important educational tool during their formative years and are not allowed to accesss it until tertiary education.

• September 27, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Hi, Masosie,

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing and for the insight.

• September 27, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Doodling is definitely a relaxer and helps the creative side of us. I love what You wrote Masosie. Agree to how the Japanese see this as part of a school practice.
        I received a coloring book from a friend with the colored pencils for Christmas. I decided that I would continue with it when I just wanted to relax. I love writing about family and then that to good memories. As a grandmother of two young girls that were close to me. I colored with them and they created images and pictures. I needed to compete. It was not a chore but a fun time. It is time for me to enjoy doodling.

• September 28, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Hello John, I’ve just read your article and was surprised to discover that men mostly doodle drawing geometrics. I’m a women and I do that all the time… squares, circles, triangles etc and I often link them up until they form a a pattern. Is this unusual for a women to do geometrics?

• September 29, 2017 at 11:01 am

Hi, Sally,

I wish I had the answer for you (great question). I just know the research shows that guys gravitate towards the geometric shapes and women towards people. But I don’t think it’s fairly common for both genders. I have several female friends who doodle out circles, squares, etc. Thanks for the response by the way!

• September 29, 2017 at 9:22 am

Great post. Such scribbling and sketch also depicts individuals mentality and creativity. Tagore is genius in this.Regards.