33 thoughts on “10 Things Depression Doesn’t Want You To Know!

• November 17, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Depression is like a full time job. You live with it and you feel it in your body like a dumbbell. Its heavy and puts your down. It strips you from what you are suppose to be.

• July 22, 2015 at 8:13 am

thank you.alam kung andyan k p rin really helps me a lot see you when everything is done…………..take care i love you

• November 19, 2014 at 11:26 am

This is great!! Thank you. It will passed among many young adults who really need it, and I think delivers the messages in a youth friendly manner. Thank you.

• November 19, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Hi, Jane,

Thanks for taking the time to comment and know that I appreciate you reading (and sharing!)

• November 19, 2014 at 11:37 am

BRILLANTLY written… thank you for putting depression into perspective.

• November 19, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Jewl,

Thanks so much for the kind note – I appreciate you taking the time to post!

• November 19, 2014 at 12:09 pm

It’s a pretty good article, but it’s all for naught if you don’t have any sort of insurance. Millions of people in this country have no access to a doctor or the ability to pay for prescriptions. THAT’S depressing. It’s also shameful that a country so rich can’t see how leaving millions of people to fend for themselves is a problem for all of us.

• November 19, 2014 at 5:00 pm

James,

I do not disagree – insurance is key to wellness. Thanks for sharing.

• November 19, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Dr. Moore,

After 12 years investigating a little known “mental break causing design mistake” engineers discovered in 1964, then created the cubicle to prevent, 1968, I can produce depression in you or anyone else with a few days exposure from Subliminal Distraction. The problem essentially arises from the long term suppression of the vision startle reflex in a location with movement in peripheral vision.

My evaluation is that depression is caused by the subliminal appreciation of threat when the design problem allows a massive number of subliminal FAILED attempts to startle. Explained in first semester psychology as a visual subliminal distraction, the design problem takes the same name, Subliminal Distraction.

When my wife had the episode after her office was changed eliminating Cubicle Level Protection her episode was mistaken for Schizophrenia. A picture of her office and her hospital record are on-site.

By using the situation engineers discovered, then increasing the level of subliminally detected movement in peripheral vision, the subtle onset of thought changed to depressive ideation happens quickly rather than cause the believed-harmless psychotic-like event from incorrectly designed offices. The experiment is safe if you assiduously follow emailed instructions.

I have been unable to find anyone in mental health services aware the problem exists. In one reply a psychiatrist said this was so bizarre and different from anything he was taught about mental illness that he could not understand it.

Dr. Moore, are you aware that the blind from birth and blind without neural impulses on the optic nerve do have panic attacks, Bipolar Disorder, or Schizophrenia? There are articles about why this is true, but the reason is that the completely blind cannot have Subliminal Distraction exposure.

I am convinced this problem is the long sought cause of college suicides when students make the design mistake where they study or use a computer.

Joe Morse, Georgia Tech, had three sources of exposure in his dorm room. His roommate supplied the information, linked on my Mysterious Disappearances page.

Although discovered and solved before they existed, computer use allows home users on social media, students, and video game players to create heavy exposure and have severe Subliminal Distraction caused outcomes.

Did you ever hear of child suicides from bullying before computers and their use on social media. A mirror in peripheral vision where a computer, tablet, or smart phone is used for long periods in a bedroom, is enough to cause Subliminal Distraction exposure.

See the Finnish National Police picture of Pekka-Eric Auvinen’s bedroom computer on site. He killed eight and committed suicide at a culinary school in Jokela, Finland.

• November 19, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Hello, LK,

Thank you for sharing. I think you have made some points here that give us all something to think about. I appreciate you taking the time to share here – truly!

• November 21, 2014 at 6:22 am

Interesting comment. Actually in 1974 when I was 22 years old, a friend of mine had a 9 year old hang himself and 2 years later, a classmate of mine in nursing school had a 11 year old shoot himself in the forehead. He had been “extremely low” according to her. It was determined not to be an accident since he had been taught how to use the gun, had fired it at a range, and was alone and he had loaded the gun with 1 bullet. We had no idea about computers in 1976, but we did have television and massive amounts of advertising. We were already paranoid from the “duck and cover” drills at school during the ’60’s Bay of Pigs incident and the Kennedy assassination, televised on all 3 tv channels during all hours on air, (5AM-12MN), and I’m sure some of us passed it on to their children. Although I do agree with your conclusions, and they are well researched, I would also look at television and especially advertising as another possible cause. Nicely done comment.

• November 21, 2014 at 6:25 am

My comment was meant for LK, btw.

• November 21, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Jayne, you are free to use anything on my site in your own research. It costs nothing to examine your daily activities, find places exposure could happen, and make small changes to prevent possible exposure. Since your brain deals with the startle reflex subliminally, SD exposure cannot be consciously experienced. It’s UNDETECTABLE.

I had this problem, in hindsight, at college 1966. I would lose attention trying to read study texts, or math on the blackboard in class. Today that would be called ADD or ADHD,

Understand, Subliminal Distraction is a universal feature of all human physiology. Only the completely blind are immune.

The nature of exposure, the repeating subliminal appreciation of threat, from failed attempts to startle, can be shown to cause depression.

But exposure began to cause symptoms we would believe mental illness when early man stopped roosting in trees for night time protection, and began to build too-small single-room shelters. See my Culture Bound Syndromes page.

Computers, tablets and other view screen devices require full mental investment to use, thus “can set up the situation to cause exposure.” Any number of other full mental investment activities performed where there is repeating movement in peripheral vision will allow exposure.

The Redlake school shooter left a journal entry telling how he put a movie monitor where he could watch it by slightly shifting his eyes while he surfed the Internet. He killed eight and commited suicide. There is evidence three other mass shooters created Subliminal Distraction. All of the others had jobs or activities, postal mail sorter, to allow exposure. Most were suicides.

Youth suicides began to increase with the invention of computers. The first suspect was low refresh rates causing blinking screens on early computers. Warning students should cost little. It is possible to stop college suicides with just this small piece of information. You must reach the students rather than schools. Administrations have refused to investigate something they failed to do is causing suicide deaths.

There are two suicide clusters at Foxconn in China, and France Telecom, where pictures show no precaution for peripheral vision blocking protection has been taken for concentrating workers. It never has been just a computer issue. But now when almost everyone has a computer the problem is more frequent.

Each of the cases you mention would have to be examined for the source of Subliminal Distraction. Just reading with detectable movement nearby in peripheral vision is enough to allow exposure. But chronic significant exposure would be necessary to cause psychiatric symptoms. It’s not a single exposure problem.

Again, it costs nothing to take simple free precautions to avoid Subliminal Distraction. There are some very subtle outcomes, paranoid, and aggressive behaviors it can cause. (Cabin Fever, 1830’s fur trapper’s over wintering cabins with two people confined in a small space.) The cubicle was created to give protection without an argument about “does it exist.”

Youth and other suicides happening before computers existed could still have been caused by Subliminal Distraction,

• November 21, 2014 at 3:15 pm

L.K,
      I am aware of the meaning of subliminal. I know these messages are UNDETECTABLE. I was merely saying that I am aware of suicide and violent behavior in children BEFORE social networking was available for public use, since you asked that question at the end of your first comment. Subliminal messages are said to have been used on television by the FBI in the hunt for the B.T.K. serial killer, and I’m sure they’re used in movies and advertising as well. My son is researching your comments as he is an active social media user. I am not and don’t care to research it. I appreciate your advice but I am a fairly intelligent person, and I was not arguing with anything you said. I apologize if it sounded like I was.

• November 19, 2014 at 9:30 pm

PITY IT IS NOT PRINTED IN A CONCISE LIST FOR PRINTING OUT TO STICK ON ONES MIRROR
    BUT I LOVE THIS WEBSITE FOR ITS INSIGHT

• November 20, 2014 at 8:25 am

Dr. Moore,
    I have written all my life, for myself, and have also suffered from depression all my life. I’m a retired Registered Nurse, a wife of 36 years with a 35 year old son. I think your article is one of the best and most insightful, unique ways to reach depressed people, as well as inform the public that depression is a disorder, probably genetic, and not just a “bad mood” or “self pity,” that one can just “snap out of.”
    The recent suicide of Robin Williams and the death of Philip Seymour Hoffman earlier this year affected me deeply. I had to retire from nursing in 1995, after 25 years of full time work, because of a partial loss of vision. I had also become disheartened with the entire medical system in the USA and its shift from patient care to profit. I was in therapy and on antidepressants during both of the above mentioned deaths, but it took the demise of Robin Williams to make me realize how important the use of humor is in the treatment of almost all diseases, mental and physical. At first I was profoundly sad. Being 60 years old, and having enjoyed his work since Mork and Mindy, I was really devastated by his death. But after watching an episode of Inside The Actors Studio with Robin Williams, and then learning of his diagnosis of Parkinsons, later determined to be Lewy Body disease, I understood.
    Everything he did involved his brilliant, quick witted brain and his amazingly controlled body. After that, I set out to watch everything I could find that he ad performed. Most, if not all of his serious dramatic work had some reference to depression and/or in it. Like Hoffman, he had had drug and alcohol problems, which I now see as attempts at self medicating. Hoffman’s death was an accidental overdose and Williams was “street drug” free but both had suffered depression. I had tried both drugs and alcohol as well, in my youth, when DEPRESSION and MENTAL ILLNESS were not discussed openly. Mental disorders are the curse of many creative geniuses, not that I claim to be one.
    Everyone should watch Patch Adams, which is a true story that is hilarious and starts with Adams checking himself in a psychiatric hospital for depression. Dr. Adams work continues to this day. I believe every child should see this movie in school, at home, and follow his example. Every depressed person should definitely watch. I try to at least weekly and it is very therapeutic for me. These links tell the real story.
    I hid behind humor all through school and my career, and on reading the goodbye cards and notes from my friends and staff at work, I realized that almost every one said “Thanks for the laughter.” A compliment indeed, from any hospital worker, seeing suffering and death so often.
    I apologize for the length of this comment, but your article will be shared, and you have a new fan. Don’t worry, I can’t drive or see well enough to stalk you. 😉 You are a wonderful writer and I wish you success and thank you for writing about this worthy subject.

• November 20, 2014 at 10:24 am

Jayne,

Thanks for your kind note. I appreciate you sharing and no need to apologize for the length of your response – it shows you are really connected to the material being explored. I appreciate you sharing the links as well! I am glad you will be following the blog and so happy to have you stop by!!

• November 20, 2014 at 10:00 am

Got to say you did a great job with the visual; that image really induces that “creeped-out” feeling!

• November 20, 2014 at 10:25 am

Hi, Katherine,

I struggled a bit with finding an image. Just hard to capture “what” depression looks like. My hope in writing this was to empower readers to push back against that monster. Thanks so much for stopping by!

• November 20, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Agree with all your points. I went through a terrible battle with depression in my early 20s and it is only over time that I learned to use all the approaches you suggest. I recovered from that first bout with the help of counselling, a brief period of meds and even the onset of spring! I also swore to myself that if any future sad mood lasted more than 3-4 days, and I couldn’t fight it myself with exercise, support from familly/friends and adjusting my thoughts (like “this too shall pass”), I would seek out counselling. Well, so far I have managed to control any downward spiral myself and have led a well-adjusted life…and this nearly 40 years after that first frightening episode! Good luck to others–like managing weight, this is a lifelong challenge — but then again, so is LIFE!

• November 20, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Hi, Dove!

Thanks so much for sharing. It is always helpful for others to hear about personal struggles with depression. Really meaningful. Sorry to hear you went through all of that at such a young age – truly.

• November 21, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I really enjoyed it. Depression is ALWAYS doing sit ups on your shoulder waiting to strike any second.

• November 21, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Number one is a hit or miss. Some have good friends and family and others have ignorant people around them. I have the latter, so I will continue to isolate myself.

• November 21, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I love this 🙂
    Depression personified! Describes “someone” I know very well.

• November 23, 2014 at 8:17 am

Well I love reading this but nothing of this things have work for me. I hate medications talking had not work it have make me feel worst that I did when I begun. Now I feel worst and don’t want to do anything. Since I was told I have bipolar I hate my self for it. Now I on a med’s and I was told to find a new place I want to get off the bipolar med’s I also have epilepsy I had lost everything that I work because of it and will not even sit with anyone even for a cup of tea I wish I was told if I wanted to take them, but I was not told and I am mad and son’t know what to do I want to be happy but I want to do it on own so if anyone got a idea for me I will be greatful

• December 1, 2014 at 11:45 am

Manny, I have suffered from complex PTSD nearly my whole life. The truck loads of pills pushed on me by the countless doctors did nothing but make me sicker, both mentally as well as physically. I felt there was no hope and was about to give up and end it all. I decided that drastic measures must be taken. I decided that instead of being sick, or dead, I would become a criminal. Medical marijuana saved my life, saved my family and restored my sanity in a way that I never thought possible! I have been off all of my meds since 2009 except for one. I keep klonipin around for the real bad anxiety attacks that cause seizures. But since beginning my treatments with MM the really bad attacks have been fewer and less violent. I pray for you and all of those who suffer as we do. Please consider this miracle treatment and get active in lobbying for the draconian laws to be repealed. No one should have to choose between being sick, or being a criminal. Being forced to make that choice is criminal it’s self, a crime against humanity. God Bless!

• November 25, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I am a 66 yr old woman who has dealt w depression in the past for many years. But I have to say… #9 Medication isn’t one of them… Unfortunately, medication turned me into a zombie… I felt neither good nor bad — in fact I felt nothing. Perhaps only my opinion but, I maintain that a human being who is disconnected from their feelings is not exactly a happy one.

The other 9 suggestions are superb! I have used every one of these suggestions at one time or another with great success. (Good on you doc!!) But the ones that helped me the most were #5 Acceptance, #4 Mindfulness and #8 Diet, in that order and combined.

#5 Acceptance. Counter to what I once believed, I found that accepting and embracing my depression was healing. In learning to unconditionally accept all of my experiences, both the positive and negative, I began to feel alive again. When I embrace my suffering I am loving myself unconditionally, which in my opinion is the greatest gift we can give ourselves. When our children feel bad, we don’t reject them, call them names and push them away. We embrace and love them. Why not you?

#4 Mindfulness. Paying attention (without judgement) to what I was thinking, believing and telling myself was very eye-opening, but not easy. These thoughts and beliefs were slippery and hard to catch. When I was able to clearly see and observe them, they ran like little cowards. It became obvious why I felt bad about myself. Over time these slippery negative taunters, packed it up and moved out.

#8 Healthy Diet. When I eliminated junk food, alcohol, and high amounts of sugar that I realized I was using to anesthetize myself, I started to feel better. I began to eat fresh, real food (i.e. anything that doesn’t come in a can, wrapper, or box) Remarkably my brain and gut started to feel better fast. I felt motivated again. I no longer had brain fog, my brain was sharp and my thinking was clear. I slept good at night and had energy during the day. I also lost weight.

The bottom line was this: I finally saw life as a gift again. In desperation I found much of this info over time from other sources. Essentially I dabbled off and on with all of the suggestions, and all but medication added to my recovery from depression. So thank you Dr. Moore for combining them so nicely.

And thank you for reading this, I hope it helps someone.

• November 25, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Good Stew,

Thank you SO much for your helpful and insightful comments. What you have shared here is helpful to all!
      🙂

• December 27, 2014 at 10:56 am

I particularly like that youonly have meds at no 9.
    Only really helpful in severe depression.
    Happy Christmas

• June 29, 2019 at 8:21 am

I really like the way the person who wrote this personified depression as a character known by different and how what we do affects it. I’m currently 16 and knowing all theses halps