14 thoughts on “5 Toxic Behaviors No One Should Tolerate

• December 22, 2016 at 8:03 am

Dear Peg, I am learning so much about myself and the relationship with my family since I read your first article not so much time ago… Thank you for sharing your really for me useful posts. Can I translate this one in italian and link the original to my facebook page? best regards from Italy <3

• December 24, 2016 at 8:22 am

Dear Ale, I cannot grant you permission to translate. I am writing a book and this material will, in some form, be incorporated into it and hopefully translated into other languages. All of my posts are copyrighted. So,please, since I make a living writing, only post a link to Psych Central in the original English. Thanks, Peg

• December 28, 2016 at 11:28 am

Dear Peg.
    Thank you for this article.It is very helpful for me. Can I share this article on facebook ? ( just pressing on facebook sign ?).
    Kind Regards
    Nicoleta

• December 28, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Of course, you are free to share on FB! Best, Peg

• December 28, 2016 at 11:50 am

Thank you for this very informative article. I have used the term “GASLIFGT” tomany – of all ages and obviously they never watched the movie. Thank you for sharing your story and providing many with a very valuable article in which the victim (yin or yang) may see the light.

• December 28, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Peg,
    Thank you so much for sharing your information here. I read this with great interest. As my mother was dying, no family member stepped up to the plate to help. I nearly killed myself trying to help her in the process. I can identity each of these behaviors you describe in a sister who sat back, blamed, criticized, lied and twisted words, and ultimately was responsible for a deep depression I suffered and fight to this day. There has been no resolution but in the process, she recruited family members to work against me. She was an unstoppable bulldozer.

Many of the toxic behaviors listed in this article describe her behavior to a tee. I’m grateful to have found this article and will be saving it to read again, when I feel the need to see her sickness for what it really is. Thanks. Maria

• December 28, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I was astounded when reading this as I saw clear patterns to my being scapegoated by my mother throughout my childhood.

One classic example was when I was visiting over Christmas and the dog was sick on the carpet late one evening. My sister as she lived there and knew where things were kept cleaned it up and washed her hands afterwards. Unfortunately she left the tap running which caused a flood. In the morning my mother was furious and even though she knew it was my sister not me, started screaming and shouting at me and told me it was my fault. When I protested asking how it was my fault she said because I was 2 years older and should have kept an eye on things! My sister was around 22 at the time!

• December 28, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Thank you for another excellent article Peg for which I’m grateful. You never fail to hit the mark and clarify in an understandable, easy to read way.

I can relate to ALL of what you’ve talked about. Each time I read one of your articles it helps to reinforce what I had already suspected regarding the Toxic ones in my family. The dysfunction is rife. I’ve been scapegoated by my family of origin all my life, I know first hand the angst that it causes. Both my parents are dead and that leaves my sister who treats me like dirt. However, I’ve distanced myself from her and when I am around her I make it very clear that she’s gone too far. Actually, she is more to be pitied because of the way she is. Her grandaugher is now making the same complaints that I’ve kept quietly to myself for a life time. Interesting don’t you think?

• December 28, 2016 at 2:15 pm

I didn’t have a “mean” mother. My mother died when I was 3. Then my dad died when I was thirteen. So even though it wasn’t their “fault”, I have lived with some pretty big abandonment issues. I have worked myself through a lot of issues, began seeing a therapist here or there when I was in my 30s and have been seeing a therapist since my 1st husband died when I was 44. I finally have one that “fits” and do pretty well “considering”.

There are a million ways that having an “absent mother” can affect a person, what I wonder — and hope this book addresses — is how to break the bad habits you’ve used to “protect” yourself all these years. How do you stop the toxic relationships with others before they start?

I’m glad I ran across this book. I expect that it will be another piece of the puzzle I’ve been trying to put together since I was a child…

• December 29, 2016 at 10:32 am

Welcome to my life. The receiving end.

• December 29, 2016 at 12:34 pm

This is an important article. Lately, I’ve been wishing this subject would be taught in school. Thank you.

• December 29, 2016 at 11:49 pm

My mother and I have a great relationship, but I’ve dealt with this from both my ex-husband and my Mother-in-law. Articles like this help me come back to center and realize that there is nothing I can do about her behavior, and that it’s not my fault.

• January 2, 2017 at 2:39 am

Yep. It is a good list toxic behaviors no one should tolerate. Luckily, I don’t think that I have had any such behaviors. But they sure look familiar to me. There is a name for people such behaviors have become part of their character – abusers.

• June 12, 2017 at 12:32 pm

I have been marrie

All

d for over forty years . Our relationship is horrendous .Eve one of the five issues you mentioned has been happening. Nevertheless I do not have the courage to severe the relationship. Could you suggest advice