24 thoughts on “22 Ways to Love Yourself More

• February 17, 2016 at 9:16 am

I would need article about “How to stop hating yourself”.

• February 17, 2016 at 11:39 am

Thanks for reading, Robert. I hope you found a couple of ideas to start moving away from self-hate and toward self-love. It can be a tough process, but it’s possible! I hope you’ll keep moving forward and reach out for some help. Take care and best wishes.

• February 17, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Wonderful article, thank you! So important especially is to realize not everyone will like us and to let that be okay and stop trying to please such people. So glad you shared your wisdom so well.

• February 17, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Thank you, Marcia. Yes, it took me a long time personally to get to the point of realizing that my worth isn’t determined by whether people like me. I have to say it’s so freeing to move beyond people-pleasing and just be me!
      I hope you’ll continue reading the blog. Have a great day. πŸ™‚

• February 17, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Hiya Sharon,
    I’m a 62year old retired teacher, recently diagnosed with BPD.
    I thought your β€œ22 Ways to Love Yourself More” was wonderful – succinct and compassionate. I need to learn to do them. I’m trying to work out how to print out just the pink box.
    However, being a pedantic old fart of a teacher, I noticed that in the box there is a common spelling mistake.
    The word PRACTICE (noun) is incorrect in that context. It should be PRACTISE (verb) – an instruction to DO something.
    I find a good way to remember which is which is to think of ADVICE (noun) and advise (VERB) and use the same rule!
    Brilliant website – thank you. Scottishseal (Jane )

• February 17, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Hi Jane,
      Thanks on all accounts! I would be happy to email you a printable version of the list (great idea). And I’ll add a link to the pdf at the bottom of the post for anyone else who would like it.
      take care,
      Sharon

• February 17, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Thank you very much! This was truly an exceptional article.
    I agree, some of the things are harder to do than others. In order to accomplish one of them I will need to enlist the help of my therapist.
    I enjoyed very much that you wrote: “…alcohol and other drugs.” I have been using this phrase for quite some time when thinking about this subject, but this is the first time that I have seen it in print.
    Thank you again!

• February 17, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Thank you so much for reading. And I, of course, appreciate the positive feedback!
      As a therapist and someone who goes to therapy, I love that you are working on this with your therapist. I truly believe therapy can provide the support and guidance to help us love and accept ourselves. It’s not easy and we don’t have to do it alone!
      Have a fantastic day and I wish you well on your journey of personal growth. πŸ™‚

• February 17, 2016 at 4:53 pm

I am having trouble loving myself. I am a lonely person with no companionship. Maybe my psychiatrist should give me advice.

• February 17, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Hi Chris,
      I think working on self-love and acceptance is a great goal. I know it can be really hard, especially if you’re feeling alone. Keep working at it and little by little I’m sure you’ll see positive changes. Thanks for reading the blog and commenting. You aren’t the only one struggling with loving yourself and loneliness, so thank you for sharing that with everyone reading.
      Best wishes to you.

• February 17, 2016 at 7:52 pm

It is all very well saying learn to love yourself but what if there is nothing worth loving about myself? In my case I am not loveable. I would very much like to become someone who is. Just telling myself I am loveable doesn’t work. It is like saying I want to be taller when I’m not and could never be.

• February 17, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Sylvie,
      I’m so sorry that you’re feeling unlovable. I personally think we all have strengths and weaknesses. We’ve all made mistakes, hurt people, and failed at times. It’s challenging to see our worth when we focus on our problems, mistakes and weaknesses. I do believe everyone is lovable and I hope that with some help you’ll come to see that you are in fact worth loving. I hope you’ll keep reading the blog. I wish you the best.

• February 18, 2016 at 1:58 am

Thanks for this great article. God bless you. Good to know that i can also love myself the way i loved others and i am not self.
    Have this question to ask, what do you when people that really count in your life refused to like you, no matter what you do to please them?

• February 18, 2016 at 1:20 pm

That’s a hard questions! I do think the more you love/like/respect yourself the better able you are to show people how you want and expect to be loved. So, I’d keep working on greater self-love and acceptance. Unfortunately, there are times when relationships need to end if you aren’t getting the love you deserve and have clearly asked for. I wish you the best. I know it’s a tough situation to be in. Remember, take care of yourself!

• February 18, 2016 at 2:04 am

I am ok with this forum. i was so annoyed or bitter one day and needed to talk to some one and came across this site, so i subscribed for and do enjoyed reading the write up.Thanks

• February 18, 2016 at 4:43 am

Very useful. Your article help me in many ways. Thanks.

• February 18, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Thanks, Alex. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. Have a great day. πŸ™‚

• February 19, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I loved your suggestions. I’ve been living with bipolar disorder dince age 11. I have done things that i am truly sorry for but can’t quite forgive myself. Question though. Ending or lessoning a toxic relationship is important. What do you do when the toxic relationship is with your mother? Tough one.

• February 19, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Yup, definitely a tough question. If I had to give you a short answer it would be boundaries, boundaries, boundaries, and lots of self-care. Know you’re worthy. πŸ™‚
      Thanks so much for reading!

• February 21, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Dear Sharon, thank you so much!

I am simultaneously scared and thrilled about a love letter to myself! πŸ™‚
    God bless,
    Hugs from India

• February 21, 2016 at 10:41 pm

I hear you! I hope you’ll give it a try. πŸ™‚
      And I love that you’re reading all the way from India! That’s exactly why I wanted to write this blog – so I can reach so many more than those in my office! Thank you so much for reading.

• May 5, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Just came upon this article after a long time trying to understand myself and this disorder(?) seems to be my issue. I think. Never have really known how to go about getting help. So I am a survivor and headed very close to being an over comer. Growing up with a Mom who was mentally ill and suffered with schitzophrenia. Her illness was progressive. It really got worse and worse until finally she was committed to a mental institution. So I am blessed but I am so tired. Emotionally tired. Mentally tired. I would like to know if you could recommend someone to go to for help. I am 61, a part time dental hygienist. Married to an amazing man, Mother of 4, grandmother of soon to be 5. So I live near to Huntsville Alabama. Any suggestions?

• May 6, 2018 at 9:04 am

Hi Andra
      I’m so glad you’re finding greater clarity. Unfortunately, I don’t personally know any mental health professionals in your area. Searching in an online directory (such as Psychology Today) or asking your doctor or friends are good ways to find a therapist. You might also consider a Codependents Anonymous Meeting (CODA) – http://coda.org/
      best wishes,