6 thoughts on “Facing Your Fears: Maybe You Don’t Have to Step out of Your Comfort Zone

• April 12, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Very interesting and valid points!! I have a lot of fear surrounding anything that will make my body hurt more than it already does. Although caution is important in my case, I find I limit myself way more than I probably need to. And that in itself makes me uncomfortable and frustrated. I like the idea of just experiencing the moment and not perceiving it as necessarily safe or unsafe territory. Thank you!

• April 18, 2019 at 8:18 am

You’re welcome, Cindy! I support you in stepping into the present moment, and let me know how it goes. 🙂

• April 17, 2019 at 4:39 am

Thank you! When people tell me to step out of my comfort zone, they are often trying to get me to do a task that they are fearful of!

• April 18, 2019 at 8:19 am

Great point, Jim! People often do that… or, they try to push others to do what they are doing, so they can feel better about their own choices. Kudos to you for your clarity!

• April 17, 2019 at 8:50 am

I don’t like your idea at all.

Feeling safe or not safe is a very fundamental thing, and mainly it helps protect us. Some people, for all sorts of reasons, may feel unsafe when it isn’t really useful or protective. But I don’t think it’s all that helpful to suggest they should take their emotional signals as if they were just random noise, or an interesting landscape that isn’t really telling them to go away and get cover.

I used to have several phobias. The ones that were really causing me trouble in normal life, I learned to overcome. The ones that didn’t make so much difference, I stay away from them the few times the situation arises, because it’s easier.

But I didn’t overcome my phobias by questioning my feelings of what is safe and what isn’t, or thinking that I shouldn’t think of things as safe or unsafe. I overcame my phobias by questioning my understanding of the danger. Once I reassured myself that there was no real danger, then I could think of the experience as thrilling but not all that scary. And eventually, the thrill faded.

• April 18, 2019 at 8:21 am

Doly, that’s great that you found a way that worked for you to overcome your phobias. And what you are talking about – about questioning your understanding of danger, and that there was no real danger – is exactly what i was talking about. Perhaps we just have different ways of expressing that idea and exploring it.