Comments on
How Do Adults Find New Hobbies?

Woman hiking. Discover new hobbies.

Do you struggle to identify hobbies and interests?

One of my readers is working on self-exploration and getting to know herself better and wrote to me saying she’s really struggling to identify hobbies and interests.

7 thoughts on “How Do Adults Find New Hobbies?

• February 2, 2018 at 1:00 pm

Thanks for this blog.
    I’ve recently been feeling very bored on my days off of work and I’ve been feeling desperate for some kind of adventure. Starting with the basics of learning about my own hobbies is a good place to start. This has been a very relevant read. Thank you.

• February 3, 2018 at 12:22 pm

Thank you for this article. I’m in my early 50’s and my kids are older and less dependent. I just semi-retired.

I was mentally adrift for most of January and realized I was having a hard time accessing my true passions because I had spent so much of my life in survival mode-raising kids, working, caring for older parents, etc.

I will take this opportunity to reconnect with myself.

• February 3, 2018 at 5:33 pm

I’m so glad it was helpful. This sounds like a great time for you to reconnect with yourself. 🙂

• November 4, 2019 at 9:13 am

I found it interesting that when trying a new hobby, it’s a good idea to commit to it at least three times. From personal experience, when I am trying to get into new things or new hobbies, I have to do it more than once to get the full experience. I appreciate the helpful tips for choosing a new hobby and I’ll be sure to show it anyone who is considering this in their life.

• March 3, 2020 at 2:36 am

Great article!

I am working on a project that might be relevant – an extensive and filterable hobbies archive.

Hopefully, in the future, it will include tools and suggestions to get you started with the new hobby of your choice, and maybe even find people around you that you can share your new hobby with.

Maybe someone will find it useful:

Will be happy to get some feedback 🙂

• July 28, 2020 at 11:10 am

I love reading, real books, but electronic is easier to carry around. Sharing recipes with family and friends to see who can make it better. Travel, plotting and planning and saving for the trip is a lot of fun as well. Query family and friends for suggestions on what to do and where to go at your destination. Coloring. Dozens and dozens of adult coloring books and pens, markers and pencils of all ilk. Calming. Music, mood dependent. Bad day, either calming R&B or headbanging rock. Trying to get into herb gardening. Who knew those lil bits and pieces were so expensive. You just have to find your own level and MAKE the time for. Stop letting yourself get pulled in to many directions. It really is all about you in the end. If YOU are not healthy mentally, physically and fiscally, then you are not able to help anyone.

• July 28, 2020 at 11:18 am

This list of possible hobbies was GREAT! I’m already doing the running/walking thing but this gives me ideas on others…Thank you!