10 thoughts on “7 Effective Ways to Stop Overthinking

• October 19, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Go to a special place.

• October 19, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Thanks for reminding me of these very effective tools! I have been obsessively worrying about the Presidential election & what will happen to our country if my candidate doesn’t win. I’ve even had dreams and one nightmare about it! I knew/know I’m overthinking but forgot what to do about it. So this post was certainly timely for me! Plus, I’m saving it for the next time my brain gets stuck in overdrive. Thanks, Sharon!

• October 20, 2016 at 9:10 am

Yes, the election is causing a lot of us stress! I’m glad this was helpful and thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment.

• October 21, 2016 at 10:38 am

What works well for me is to turn the worrisome, persistent thoughts into a conversation with my Higher Power, as though we were having coffee together. I don’t know why it works, but it does.

• October 27, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Susan,
      That sounds like a wonderful and powerful strategy. Thanks for sharing it!

• October 21, 2016 at 10:52 am

thank you. I have this list hanging on the wall. a great reminder of focus.

• October 27, 2016 at 12:30 pm

A generally helpful list, except for #5. Seriously, if telling ourselves to ‘just stop’ worked, we wouldn’t have a problem. Those of us who ruminate have enough other issues without the shame of failure (not being able to stop) being added on.

• October 27, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Hi Fitler Square Dad,
      No shame or failure intended. I try to talk to myself with compassion and without judgment. A basic tenant of meditation and mindfulness is that when your mind drifts back to your worry, bring it back to the present without judgment. It’s common to have to do this over and over again. It’s not a failure, but a practice.
      Thanks for reading and best wishes,
      Sharon

• February 3, 2018 at 4:46 pm

This sounds great but the problem for me is staying focused on task. Plus finding a therapist that recognizes and wants to help