Have you been short-changing yourself on self-care, saying critical or hurtful things to yourself, or setting unrealistic expectations for yourself?
Are you ready to embrace your worthiness and start treating yourself with love?
Why You Need Self-Love
Loving ourselves and prioritizing our needs is often very challenging. Unfortunately, many of us didn’t receive the love we deserved as children and this sets the stage for difficulty loving ourselves. We grow up feeling unlovable, damaged, inadequate, and unworthy. So, we overcompensate with perfectionism, people-pleasing, and over-working – all efforts to earn approval and feel worthy of love. But this is never effective because love and acceptance have to come from within. Yes, receiving love from others is important, but it doesn’t take the place of self-love. In fact, unconditional love from others in the absence of self-love can feel phony and uncomfortable because if we don’t feel lovable, it’s hard to believe that others genuinely love us.
Not only is self-love essential for healthy relationships, but it also allows us to set boundaries, be assertive, pursue our interests and goals, practice self-care, and feel good about ourselves.
Quotes to Inspire Self-Love
Even if self-love doesn’t come naturally, you can learn to love yourself more. Learning anything new takes practice and patience. If at times, you feel discouraged or unworthy, these inspirational quotes about self-love can keep you motivated.
1) “Loving yourself…does not mean being self-absorbed or narcissistic, or disregarding others. Rather it means welcoming yourself as the most honored guest in your own heart, a guest worthy of respect, a lovable companion.”
– Margo Anand
2) “One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself.”
– Shannon L. Alder
3) “When I loved myself enough, I began leaving whatever wasn’t healthy. This meant people, jobs, my own beliefs and habits – anything that kept me small. My judgment called it disloyal. Now I see it as self-loving.”
– Kim McMillen
4) “The journey isn’t about becoming a different person. It’s about loving who you are right now.”
– Suzanne Heyn
5) “Be the love you never received.”
– Rune Lazuli
6) “Until you value yourself, you won’t value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.”
– M. Scott Peck
7) “To accept ourselves as we are means to value our imperfections as much as our perfections.”
– Sandra Bierig
8) “Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.”
– Veronica A. Shoffstall
9) “It’s not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself, and make your happiness a priority. It’s a necessity.”
– Mandy Hale
10) “You’re always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.”
– Diane Von Furstenberg
11) “Lighten up on yourself. No one is perfect. Gently accept your humanness.”
– Deborah Day
12) “Loving yourself isn’t vanity. It’s sanity.”
– Katrina Mayer
13) “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection”
14) “Love yourself enough to set boundaries. Your time and energy are precious. You get to choose how you use it. You teach people how to treat you by deciding what you will and won’t accept.”
– Anna Taylor
Do some of these quotes about self-love resonate with you? It often helps to keep them handy (write them on post-it notes and leave them on your bathroom mirror, make a screen saver for your phone, write them in your journal) so you can easily refer back to them when the going gets tough.
If you’d like to print a PDF of these quotes, there’s a copy in my resource library. To access it (and all my other free resources), just sign-up here for my free weekly email updates and resources.