30 Questions to Help You Plan for Your Most Fulfilling Year Ever
Everyone is eager to cast off the past year and start fresh. I totally get it; it wasn’t the best year for me personally, not to mention the never-ending natural disasters and political turmoil that pummeled us. So, it’s understandable that we want to say adios to 2017 and set our sites on a new year and the promise of greener pastures.
But something bothers me about this….If every year we’re so quick to escape the old year, how are we enjoying any of it? Or learning from it?
It’s easy to focus on the negatives. They have a way of standing boldly in our memories and clouding out the good stuff. But life isn’t so black or white – every year has some happy times and accomplishments and every year has some heartaches and struggles.
It’s natural to want to bury the hard stuff, but to do so means we’re also burying the good. So, let’s pause and reflect on what’s worth savoring about 2017.
Reflecting on the good parts of 2017
1. I accomplished __________.
2. I feel good about __________.
3. I took care of myself by __________.
4. I’m grateful for __________.
5. I enjoyed spending time with ___________.
6. A great book/movie was _____________.
7. A happy memory was __________.
8. I was challenged by__________.
9. I learned __________.
10. I felt passionately about _____________.
Reflecting on the hardships of last year
11. This year I struggled with _____________.
12. I coped by ______________.
13. As a result of these struggles, I learned _____________.
And now onto planning for a healthy and fulfilling 2018!
The next set of questions will hopefully get you thinking about how you want to spend your time and resources, how you might enrich your life, and ways to grow into a healthier and happier version of yourself.
When making plans and setting goals, it’s always good to remember that we don’t have to accomplish everything for it to be a successful endeavor. Small changes are the building blocks that will get you to your ultimate goals. You don’t need to try to do everything on this list. Just use it to get some ideas percolating and let your heart draw you to the things you’d like to focus on in 2018.
My recommendation is to go slow and be really kind to yourself during the process. Stepping out of your comfort zone – whether it’s trying new things or changing old habits, is hard work.
Planning for the new year
14. This year I will focus on __________.
15. I want to get to know and strengthen my relationship with ___________.
16. I will connect with others by _______________.
17. I will work on accepting others as they are by __________.
18. I will help others or give back to my community by _____________.
19. I will grow in or strengthen my faith/spirituality by _____________.
20. I will take care of myself by __________.
21. I will show myself compassion by __________.
22. I will save money for ______________.
23. I will splurge on ____________.
24. This year I want to add more __________ to my life.
25. Every day I plan to __________.
26. My career goals for the coming year are ___________.
27. To be physically healthier, I will _____________.
28. To be mentally healthier, I will _____________.
29. I will ask for support, help, or accountability from _____________.
30. I will check-in with myself to acknowledge my progress and re-assess my goals on ___________. (date)
I hope these 30 questions have given you an opportunity to reflect on 2017 and plan for a fulfilling year ahead.
Martin, S. (2018). 30 Questions to Help You Plan for Your Most Fulfilling Year Ever. Psych Central. Retrieved on April 21, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/imperfect/2018/01/30-questions-to-help-you-plan-for-your-most-fulfilling-year-ever/