16 Quotes to Inspire Healthy Relationships
Relationships contribute to our greatest joys and our biggest struggles. To put it simply, relationships are hard! I assembled the following 16 quotes about healthy relationships to inspire you when things get rough – when you’re arguing, heart broken, or confused.
We’ve all been there! No one has a perfect marriage or a stress-free relationship with their parents or kids. Our relationship struggles may all take different forms, but we all have them (at least some of the time). But we also know that when we can offer kindness, respect, and open communication, and receive the same in return, we can open our hearts and experience deep connection, love, and acceptance.
Quotes to Inspire Healthy Relationships:
- “A healthy relationship is a feast of affection/giving for both people; not one receiving crumbs and trying to convince themselves it’s enough.” – Shannon Thomas
- “I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone, it’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone.” – Robin Williams
- “When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are.” – Donald Miller
- “Every good relationship, especially marriage, is based on respect. If it’s not based on respect, nothing that appears to be good will last very long. – Amy Grant
- “As you remove toxic people from your life, you free up space and emotional energy for positive, healthy relationships.”― John Mark Green
- “Fear of breaking family loyalty is one of the greatest stumbling blockages to recovery. Yet, until we admit certain things we would rather excuse or deny, we cannot truly begin to put the past in the past, and leave it there once and for all. Unless we do that, we cannot even begin to think of having a future that is fully ours, untethered to the past, and we will be destined to repeat it.”― Ronald Allen Schulz
- “As long as you leave to others the responsibility to make you happy, you will always be miserable, because that is actually your job”― Linda Alfiori
- “A healthy relationship will never require you to sacrifice your friends, your dreams, or your dignity.” – Dinkar Kalotra
- “Far too many people are looking for the right person, instead of trying to be the right person.” – Gloria Steinem
- “Daring to set boundaries is about having the courage to love ourselves even when we risk disappointing others.” – Brene Brown
- “A healthy relationship keeps the doors and windows wide open. Plenty of air is circulating and no one feels trapped. Relationships thrive in this environment. Keep your doors and windows open. If the person is meant to be in your life, all the open doors and windows in the world, will not make them leave. Trust the truth.” – Unknown
- “My primary relationship is with myself – all others are mirrors of it. As I learn to love myself, I automatically receive the love and
appreciation that I desire from others. If I am committed to myself and to living my truth, I will attract others with equal commitment. My willingness to be intimate with my own deep feelings creates the space for intimacy with another. As I learn to love myself, I receive the love I desire from others.” — Shakti Gawain
- “Let’s not forget it’s you and me vs. the problem…Not you vs. me.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Love in such a way that the person you love feels free.” –Thich Nhat Hanh
- “We can improve our relationships with others by leaps and bounds if we become encouragers instead of critics.” — Joyce Meyer
- “Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” – Albert Camus
I hope these quotes inspire you to move toward a healthy relationship with yourself and with others and encourage you when things get rough.
For more tips and articles about healthy relationships, follow me on Facebook.
© 2017 Sharon Martin, LCSW. All rights reserved.
Comments are closed for this post.
Martin, S. (2017). 16 Quotes to Inspire Healthy Relationships. Psych Central. Retrieved on January 22, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/imperfect/2017/01/16-quotes-to-inspire-healthy-relationships/