October 5th is National Do Something Nice Day. A day dedicated to doing something nice is a fantastic idea!
Did you know that doing good deeds can actually improve your health? Dr. Stephen Post of the Institute for Unlimited Love revealed that kindness and volunteering increases longevity. Other research has shown the performing acts of kindness increases levels of happiness.
Today your challenge is to do something nice. It doesn’t have to be complicated or time consuming or take a lot of time. Sometimes simple is best.
My extra challenge for you is to do something nice for someone else and do something nice for yourself.
Here are some ideas for Do Something Nice Day to help you out:
- Leave your partner a love note
- hold the door open for someone
- buy your coworker lunch
- make your kid’s favorite dinner
- give your assistant flowers
- bring in your neighbor’s trash cans
- clean out the refrigerator at the office
- watch your friends kids so she can have an hour of personal time
- wash the dishes even though it’s your partner’s turn
- write a note of appreciation and give it to your child’s teacher or coach
- leave an extra big tip
- pick up some trash
Ideas for you:
- eat a real breakfast
- take a walk
- take a night off from checking work email at home
- go to bed early
- have lunch with a friend instead of at your desk
- notice 3 great things about your life
I’m sure you can all think of many more excellent ideas. Please share some in the comments.
Follow me on Twitter @SMartinLCSW for more great ways to grow your happiness.
For more information: