7 thoughts on “Pros and Cons of the Bipolar Superpower

• June 25, 2018 at 12:42 am

I consider my severe complex PTSD with dissociation a super power. It gives me cat like reflexes and the ability to size up anyone and any situation almost immediately, and I’m right 99% of the time. My brain has evolved to protect me from future trauma. Yes, it comes with loneliness, self loathing, the feeling I can’t trust anyone and lots of sleepless nights… but there’s always a down side. My brain wouldn’t function this way if there wasn’t a need for it to. It’s kept me alive. I’ve adapted and overcame what would have killed most others. So yeah… it’s a superpower!!

• June 25, 2018 at 1:10 am

Thank you for sharing, it’s an interesting point you bring up. I understand Hypervigilance but is normally compounded by other symptoms. Might only last and for few days or weeks, after I’m just more sensitive things as usual. I’m glad you’ve adapted but I’m sorry it comes at such a cost. Oh yeah, I would say survival is a superpower! 🙂

• June 25, 2018 at 2:58 pm

I have an idea. Why don’t we take every person on the planet who lays claim to a make-believe illness, a “disorder” like Bipolar Disorder or PTSD or any of the other two hundred eighty something disorders in the DSM-5, and introduce her or him to someone stricken by something real, like a meningioma. They might stop their childhood game of pretending to be sick. It used to be called malingering. In a sane world it still would be.

• June 25, 2018 at 10:58 pm

Denial. Yes. that too is a great superpower!

• June 27, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Gerard,

You need more education and EMPATHY.

Judith

• May 14, 2020 at 4:56 am

The person who wrote the article just does not have the mental capacity to access those genious parts of the brain some of us learn to harness and use. Some people are weak while others are strong. I am not here to make others feel better, I just try to educate when I can.

• May 21, 2020 at 12:10 pm

Thank you for allowing your superior mental capacity to read my blog…honored. Truly – keep up the good work helping other feel better, you a godsend.