6 Halloween Facts You Didn’t Know
Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne
My Strange Halloween Childhood Memory.
I remember dressing up in my costume one year and going to church for a Holloween party. Was about 6 or 7 years old, but have this vivid memory of the day. The kids just finished playing games, bobbing for apples and eating donuts hung on a string of yarn in the auditorium.
I got a drink at the water fountain, it occurred to me that my costume might not be the most appropriate, I was dressed as the devil, horn and all…In God’s house! I remember wondering why that wasn’t wrong, why was it okay?… that wonderment didn’t last that long, as I recall…the candy was about to be handed out.
1. Halloween Fact: Jack O Lanterns were actually made from turnips.
2. Halloween Fact: Wiccans, who follow ancient Celtic rituals, still call Halloween by the ancient name Samhain (pronounced SOW-en) and consider it to be the most sacred night of the year. Quoting a professed witch, “Christians ‘don’t realize it, but they’re celebrating our holiday with us. . . . We like it,’” stated the newspaper Monday, October 29, 1990, Edition of USA TODAY.
3. Halloween Fact: Halloween is the second highest grossing commercial holiday after Christmas. In 2010 consumers spent 5.8 billion. National Retail Federation has been conducting its annual Halloween survey since 2003. They just released the estimates for 2017: HALLOWEEN SPENDING TO REACH RECORD $9.1 BILLION
4. Halloween Fact: The movie Halloween (1978) had no budget, so they used a cheap mask for the character Michael Meyers. It reported being a William Shatner Star Trek mask. Shatner didn’t know, not sure anyone offset did, but Shatner was later quoted to be “honored” they used his likeness.
5. Halloween Fact: The largest pumpkin ever measured in the US…Joel Holland, a retired firefighter from Sumner, Washington, his pumpkin weighed in at 2,363-pounds 2017.
Superstar Grower and now 7-time #HalfMoonBay Champion Joel Holland of Sumner WA sets a new American record with a gorgeous and gargantuan 2,363-pound mega-gourd, the second heaviest pumpkin EVER grown! See the #beautiful beast this weekend (Oct.14-15) at the #HMBPumpkinFest #giantpumpkins #bigpumpkins #gpc
As For Pumpkin growing Europeans have it pound for pound or is it that Kilo for Kilo or stone for stone, whatever…they grow them bigger... Mathis Willemijns won the European Pumpkin Championship with a giant pumpkin that weighed about 2,625 pounds ~ newsweek.com
6. Halloween Fact: Ireland is typically believed to be the birthplace of Halloween.
Stewart, C. (2017). 6 Halloween Facts You Didn’t Know. Psych Central. Retrieved on April 27, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/humor/2017/10/6-halloween-fact-you-didnt-know/